Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load Bearing? HELP

we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is
between a small room and the living room. we have a slab
basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the
small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that -
about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only
about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is
between a small room and the living room. we have a slab
basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the
small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that -
about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only
about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Can't see it from here. Not being able to see it, no one can give a sure
answer.

If the wall is parallel to the roof joists, it is probably not, if it is
perpendicular, it may be. but it takes a visual inspection to be sure. You
may be able to tell better from the attic and also, if there are any pipes
or wires in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My house has a similar situation. It could be that the first wall is a
bearing wall and the wall further back is not load bearing (or other way
around). May need to tear off the drywall around the ceiling near the wall
and have an experienced person look - also look in attic.

wrote in message
we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is
between a small room and the living room. we have a slab
basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the
small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that -
about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only
about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

how many beams does it support, if it runs inline with the roof, it's
possibly load bearing, if it runs against the roof line it is unlikely
(unless there is a access next to it that has been framed in). even if
it is load bearing, you can always put a header up and remove the wall.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is
between a small room and the living room. we have a slab
basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the
small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that -
about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only
about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK!

There was a great article in Fine Homebuilding Mag sometime in 2005
doing what yoy want to do check it out!

I would go in the attic and see where the ceiling joists overlap and if
they are on that wall then this is a load bearing wall - of course you
could have a truss supported roof then oi may not be a load bearing
wall. When in doubt spend a few $$ and get a structural eng out to
tell you for sure and if it is he should be able to tell you how and
what materials you'll need to take this wall out!

wrote:
DK wrote:
On 25 Sep 2006 07:42:57 -0700,
wrote:

we want to tear a wall out to extend our living space. the wall is
between a small room and the living room. we have a slab
basement and a crawlspace attic (there is only one story) Also - the
small room is very small - perhaps 6 feet wide. Saying that -
about 6 feet back after this wall - is another wall. to the kitchen.

Would that be a load bearing wall when you consider the fact that only
about 5-6 feet back is another interior wall?

Any help/advice appreciated.

As said, Just add a header and tear it out anyway.

No. Unless you're feeling very lucky. You need to be able to support
all loads,
under all conditions. So it needs to be done properly, or some people
might
be very unhappy with you: insurance carrier, building inspector,
police.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:
DK wrote:

Just add a header and tear it out anyway.

I have the intelligence to rip out any load bearing wall without any
harm to the existing structure as do most all carpenters worth their
salt.

If "just add a header" is your idea of intelligence, I hope your don't work
anywhere I'm likely to go.

I hate hearing "It can't be done"

It can be done by someone with the appropriate qualifications. Your above
statement makes your qualifications questionable.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:47:33 -0400, Michael Daly
wrote:

DK wrote:
DK wrote:

Just add a header and tear it out anyway.

I have the intelligence to rip out any load bearing wall without any
harm to the existing structure as do most all carpenters worth their
salt.

If "just add a header" is your idea of intelligence, I hope your don't work
anywhere I'm likely to go.

I hate hearing "It can't be done"

It can be done by someone with the appropriate qualifications. Your above
statement makes your qualifications questionable.

Mike

You dumb ****. You can't read either. I never used the word
"header".

Posted to alt.home.repair

DK wrote:

DK wrote:
Just add a header and tear it out anyway.

You dumb ****. You can't read either. I never used the word
"header".

Yeah, right.

Mike