Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hinge cutouts

I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but
when installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the
spaces for the hinges in the door?

Mortices
______________

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack
work. I don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way
to do it?

A router (and template) is lots easier...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

definately using a router and jig is the best way to cut the mortices.
the jig is cheap, the router less so.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Eigenvector wrote:
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in
news
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces
for the hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack
work. I don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to
do it?

As said, a router and a template is the cat's meow. If you don't want to
get a router (which you will use for a zillion things in the future you
never thought of), you can get a butt hinge marker. Gives you a nice
outline and depth to follow. Following the outline and the consistancy of
the depth is at the mercy of the hammer and chisel holder.

Check out http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2installhinge and maybe you'll
pick up an "Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!" pointer :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
jd jd is offline

router and template are defintitely the easiest. However, a sharp chisel
(you shouldn't need a hammer) will do just as good a job, although you will
need a little practice. unless I'm doing alot of them, I use a standard
chisel. Use the hinge itself and a untility knife to scribe the outline,
then use the shisel to pare away the waste. Wuick, quiet, and clean.

-JD

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

If your mortice looks hacked then you either have a bad tecnique or
need to sharpen that chisel.

I scribe the hinge outline with a very sharp exacto knife first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I highly recommend using a router with a hinge template.

I am using:

You'll only need the 1/4" bit from this set

A hinge template (use a metal one like this, not a plastic one): I got
mine off eBay
http://66.77.255.87/Images/VA%20Prod...3457_VA_lg.jpg

If you want to do the door latch part also, then you will need another
template for that:
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6117337.JPG

This last item comes with a router bit that you will need to use with
the template so you don't destroy the plastic (which flexes, which is
why I hate it). I have never seen a metal one of these, but if you are
careful it works just fine.

Then take all these items and practice on some scrap wood until you get
it right. there are some good instructions available how to do this in
the internet (probably on hammerzone.com).

I have never and will never use a chisel to make a hing mortise. That
method sucks by comparison. And I didn't spend much to do it the right
way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
Eigenvector entered:

I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces
for the hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack
work. I don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way
to do it?

Mortices were cut using hammer and chisels long before electricity was
harnessed. Make sure you have a sharp chisel and go slow. Small cuts are
better and easier to control then big ones.
Practice on some scrap first.
Bob

--?
--?
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:23:18 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

Mortises. Either a chisel or router. A chisel takes more time (and
skill) than a router. If I have a lot of mortises to cut I build a
jig for the router.

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I can't for the life of me think of the proper name for them, but when
installing a new door, what is the best way to carve out the spaces for the
hinges in the door?

I've been using a hammer and chisel, it works but talk about hack work. I
don't actually own a router, but is that the only real way to do it?

oig some work a my son's place in VA last week I found a "kit" by (?)
Irwin (?) at a Lowes in Norfolk. Had the twmplates for the hinges and
a small bit with a rolling collar that could be powered by a cordless
drill. Son didn't have a router, but did have the drill. The drill
was an 18.something Sears Crapsman, but it worked for cutting 4 hinge
mortices and two striker plate mortices, one in the door jamb and one in
the door edge.

Whole thing worked out well.