Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Janitol furnace dilema

I am working on a 1993 Janitriol model number GMPN100-4. Actually two
of them in the same residence. Big ranch house with on on each side.

I watch the Ignitor turn on, the main valve opens, it ignites and stays

lit for about 5 seconds, then the flame goes out. It waits about 30
seconds then does the same thing again.

It stops after three tries and then I get a single blink from the
control board.

At least I think it is a single blink. It blinks on, waits 1/2 a
second then blinks once again, repeat.....

I replaced the flame sensor and it still does the same thing.

Reading the sticker in the furnce, a single blink means Gas flow, Gas
pressure, Gas valve, or Flame sensor.

Sure seems like it is the flame sensor to me, but I have swapped it out

once.

It wouldnt flame on if it was the Gas flow, Gas pressure or Gas valve
would it?

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance..

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bortos wrote:
I watch the Ignitor turn on, the main valve opens, it ignites and stays
lit for about 5 seconds, then the flame goes out. It waits about 30
seconds then does the same thing again.
...after three tries ... get a single blink from the control board.

I replaced the flame sensor and it still does the same thing...a single blink means
Gas flow, Gas pressure, Gas valve, or Flame sensor.

Sure seems like it is the flame sensor to me, but I have swapped it out once.

It wouldnt flame on if it was the Gas flow, Gas pressure or Gas valve
would it?

Any Ideas?

Flow and/or pressure would be first two since appears to not be sensor
or valve.

Certainly it can initially light on low pressure or flow but not stay
lit. Particularly would indicate this isn't sensor if (as I surmise
altho you don't say so explicitly) both units are behaving the same
way--the supply is common-mode, the sensors would require multiple
identical failures...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
bortos wrote:
[...]

Only one of the furnaces is malfunctioning.

Each furnaces has a sperate feed from different propane tanks.

And pressure was checked not to long ago when the tank on the "BAD"
side was topped off.

Also, it has a new thermostat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bortos wrote:

dpb wrote:

bortos wrote:

I watch the Ignitor turn on, the main valve opens, it ignites and stays
lit for about 5 seconds, then the flame goes out. It waits about 30
seconds then does the same thing again.
...after three tries ... get a single blink from the control board.

I replaced the flame sensor and it still does the same thing...a single blink means
Gas flow, Gas pressure, Gas valve, or Flame sensor.

SNIP

Only one of the furnaces is malfunctioning.

Each furnaces has a sperate feed from different propane tanks.

And pressure was checked not to long ago when the tank on the "BAD"
side was topped off.

Also, it has a new thermostat.

Swap the control boards.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Speedy Jim wrote:
Swap the control boards.

and clean the orifices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bortos wrote:
[...]

Make sure all valves are open..at the tank on the gas valve in the
furnace and the shutoff outside the furnace...after that if it doesnt
work then call someone who knows how to work on gas furnaces....you
obviously dont and while I commend you on trying to fix your own
furnace there is a good chance that you could cost yourself more money
in the end by damaging something. You could also endanger your families
lives by messing with gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bortos wrote:
And pressure was checked ...

Where? At the tank, after the regulator, or at the furnace? One
doesn't imply the latter necessarily if there's a problem in between...

Posted to alt.home.repair

check the polarity on power feed.

Hi all. First time on since we were KO'd by Katrina 13 mo. ago. We
were down but not out.

MFEMF
Air-Care

bortos wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
bortos wrote:

dpb wrote:

bortos wrote:

I watch the Ignitor turn on, the main valve opens, it ignites and stays
lit for about 5 seconds, then the flame goes out. It waits about 30
seconds then does the same thing again.
...after three tries ... get a single blink from the control board.

I replaced the flame sensor and it still does the same thing...a single blink means
Gas flow, Gas pressure, Gas valve, or Flame sensor.
SNIP

Only one of the furnaces is malfunctioning.

Each furnaces has a sperate feed from different propane tanks.

And pressure was checked not to long ago when the tank on the "BAD"
side was topped off.

Also, it has a new thermostat.

Swap the control boards.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Yea,

It was the control board.

I was convinced it was a polarity problem or a flame sensor positioning
problem, but as soon as I swapped boards the other furnace had the
problem and the other was fine.

Sometimes you just have to be reminded to do what should be the
obvious, so,

THANKS MUCH