Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "defogging" multipane windows

Has anyone tried a defogging service (e.g. www.defogusa.com) that
claims to permanently repair fogged multipane windows? I'm not sure
exactly how the process works (the web site makes reference to
cleansing and draining the interior window space), but the thing that
intrigues me is that they claim their process restores the insulation
property of the glass. Plus a 20-year warranty against refogging.

Wondered if anyone has tried them.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Has anyone tried a defogging service (e.g.
www.defogusa.com) that
claims to permanently repair fogged multipane windows? I'm not sure
exactly how the process works (the web site makes reference to
cleansing and draining the interior window space), but the thing that
intrigues me is that they claim their process restores the insulation
property of the glass. Plus a 20-year warranty against refogging.

Wondered if anyone has tried them.

Thanks,
John

Compare the cost to replacing the glass. Consider that anything that
sounds too good to be true, likely is not true.

Replacing the glass is usually not all that expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone tried a defogging service (e.g.
www.defogusa.com) that
claims to permanently repair fogged multipane windows? I'm not sure
exactly how the process works (the web site makes reference to
cleansing and draining the interior window space), but the thing that
intrigues me is that they claim their process restores the insulation
property of the glass. Plus a 20-year warranty against refogging.

Wondered if anyone has tried them.

Thanks,
John

Compare the cost to replacing the glass. Consider that anything that
sounds too good to be true, likely is not true.

Replacing the glass is usually not all that expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

They claim to be one third to one half the cost of replacing the glass.

In the case of the upper glass in a 2-story foyer, for example, the
labor could be very expensive. I normally steer clear of anything that
sounds too good to be true, but this seems to be a legit outfit with
franchises all over the US and Canada (claiming to do both commercial
and residential).

That's why I asked if anyone had tried them.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I've cleared some fogged up thermopane windows by drilling a couple of
holes in the outside pane's corners myself, but I didn't know anything
about valves, I just left the holes open. I sort of turned them into
"storm windows" that way.

I'm aware that those open holes are definitely not as good a solution as
replacing the sealed units, because the inside glass surfaces will get
dirty over time.

The "defogusa" website says they clean the inside of the windows. I
wonder just how they do that, I suppose they may fill and drain a
cleaning solution through those holes they drill in the glass.

I'm gonna investigate them because both panes of our patio door are
starting to fog up, and while I've had several new panels made for
smaller windows and installed them myself, the size of the patio door
glass is a little intimidating for me to want to transport and install
myself right now.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

it's an easy process, the problem is replacing the inert gas to give
you the same thermal rating as original. always best to have the pro do
this sort of thing.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Has anyone tried a defogging service (e.g.
www.defogusa.com) that
claims to permanently repair fogged multipane windows? I'm not sure
exactly how the process works (the web site makes reference to
cleansing and draining the interior window space), but the thing that
intrigues me is that they claim their process restores the insulation
property of the glass. Plus a 20-year warranty against refogging.

Wondered if anyone has tried them.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It looks like "defogusa" is one of many franchises of this company:
www.ccwwi.com

Hurricane Windows - my story - what would you do? [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 13th 06 10:36 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM