Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuel Conditioner (Sta-Bil)

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

twfsa wrote:
Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yea, I think so, but I would give it a half life of a number of years.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're asking how long a preservative lasts?

I've had the same bottle for five or six years as it takes only a small
amount for my lawn-mower. And I've had no problems.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

Sez who?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container,
Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original
seal.

Sez who?

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faq...t=sta-bil&ID=9

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?
2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly
capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 24 Sep 2006 16:07:54 -0700, "Ether Jones" wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

Sez who?

The manufacturer!

So, there's no date printed on the container, but once you open the
bottle it's no good in two years. Sounds to me like they want to have
their cake and eat it too. They don't want retailers returning
outdated unsold product, but they don't want consumers nursing a bottle
for 5 years. Pardon my skepticism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

Sez who?

The manufacturer!

So, there's no date printed on the container, but once you open the
bottle it's no good in two years. Sounds to me like they want to have
their cake and eat it too. They don't want retailers returning
outdated unsold product, but they don't want consumers nursing a bottle
for 5 years. Pardon my skepticism.

What's the shelf life of gasoline? It doesn't come with an expiration
date either. A factory sealed container isn't subject to its contents
absorbing moisture, nor oxidizing from from the air. These are the same
factors that cause the degradation of gasoline, only gasoline goes bad
much faster... There was a company a while back selling a "gelled"
emergency gas "can" that you could carry around in your trunk sealed for
an extended period. I'm sure the seal had as much to do with keeping it
fresh as did any additives or modifiers they put in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

Sez who?

The manufacturer!

So, there's no date printed on the container, but once you open the
bottle it's no good in two years. Sounds to me like they want to have
their cake and eat it too. They don't want retailers returning
outdated unsold product, but they don't want consumers nursing a bottle
for 5 years. Pardon my skepticism.

I have an old opened bottle of Stabil in my garage that I haven't gotten around
to diposing. It has turned a nasty darker color and appears to have some solids
floating around in it. I sure wouldn't use it!

How old?

I have a 5-year-old bottle that looks and smells the same as the day I
bought it. Of course, I don't leave the bottle uncapped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Husky wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:51:54 -0500, "twfsa" wrote:

Is there a shelf life?
Thanks
Tom

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a
two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

Sez who?

The manufacturer!

So, there's no date printed on the container, but once you open the
bottle it's no good in two years. Sounds to me like they want to have
their cake and eat it too. They don't want retailers returning
outdated unsold product, but they don't want consumers nursing a bottle
for 5 years. Pardon my skepticism.

What's the shelf life of gasoline? It doesn't come with an expiration
date either.

The analogy is weak. Gasoline is not sold in sealed containers. No
claim is made by the manufacturer that a retailer could keep a sealed
can of gasoline on the shelf indefinitely and sell it as new.

A factory sealed container isn't subject to its contents
absorbing moisture, nor oxidizing from from the air.
These are the same
factors that cause the degradation of gasoline, only gasoline goes bad
much faster...

Are you claiming that a sealed can of gasoline would remain "fresh"
indefinitely?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
[...]

CWM

What is Stabil anyway? Gas gets old, you lose the thinner fractions to
evaporation so it becomes hard to start, and you get lots of crap and
varnish forming. I can imagine some sort of solvent fighting the second
part, but that would also evaporate out. ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

I don't leave the cap off either, silly.
There are a few ounces remaining. How do you know yours looks and
smells the same as it did five years ago?

Because I also have a newer bottle, silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:

Gas gets old, you lose the thinner fractions to
evaporation so it becomes hard to start, and you get lots of crap and
varnish forming.

Sounds like a different process than that claimed by Husky (moisture
and oxidation).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 26 Sep 2006 11:17:36 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

I don't leave the cap off either, silly.
There are a few ounces remaining. How do you know yours looks and
smells the same as it did five years ago?

Because I also have a newer bottle, silly.

How do they taste?

Tastes great. Less filling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

I don't leave the cap off either, silly.
There are a few ounces remaining. How do you know yours looks and
smells the same as it did five years ago?

Because I also have a newer bottle, silly.

Why do you have a newer bottle of you think the old one is okay? ;^)

The old one is running low. I picked up a new one on sale. C'mon,
this isn't rocket science.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Any time I fill a gas can for either 2 or 4 stroke small engines, I
add Sta-bil. All I know is that it works astonishingly well for me,
and many people I know.

The stuff is remarkable indeed. I use it in all my small engines:
riding mower, push mower, brush mower, weed whacker, chain saw, edger,
go-kart. One year I added it to the riding mower but forgot to run
the engine to get it into the carb before leaving it for the winter.
Had a heck of a time getting it started in the spring. So it really
makes a difference.

I have no idea what it is or how it works, and I really don't care

Some of us have more scientific curiousity than others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 26 Sep 2006 14:26:11 -0700, "Ether Jones" wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Any time I fill a gas can for either 2 or 4 stroke small engines, I
add Sta-bil. All I know is that it works astonishingly well for me,
and many people I know.

The stuff is remarkable indeed. I use it in all my small engines:
riding mower, push mower, brush mower, weed whacker, chain saw, edger,
go-kart. One year I added it to the riding mower but forgot to run
the engine to get it into the carb before leaving it for the winter.
Had a heck of a time getting it started in the spring. So it really
makes a difference.

I have no idea what it is or how it works, and I really don't care

Some of us have more scientific curiousity than others.

Well, I do too, but this particular question doesn't pull me at all towards it.
The makers say that Stabil somehow encapsulates the molecules of various
components of gasoline and protects them from destrying each other. That's good
enough.

Um, I don't think so. A half a teaspoon per quart isn't going to
"encapsulate" anything.

Stabil isn't that big a part of my life!

Say that next spring after not using it this winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:

But... why would you open the new one if there is still product left in the old
one,

To compare it to the old one. Come on, Charlie.

and you think it never deteriorates?

I never said I think it never deteriorates. I said I was skeptical
about the claim that it has an indefinite shelf life while on the
retailer's shelf, yet when the consumer takes it home and starts to use
it, it's only good for two years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
The makers say that Stabil somehow encapsulates the molecules of various
components of gasoline and protects them from destrying each other.

Hmm. Could we send a big tank to Iraq?

Sealing Plastic Fuel Tank 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 5 November 21st 05 05:14 PM
How To Clear Sharp Air Conditioner E1 "Clean Filter" Error Code Tony T Electronics Repair 2 August 17th 05 03:49 AM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM