Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

Default Insulation

Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Posted to alt.home.repair

it's never not ok to use duct tape...

I would insulate it's always better to insulate than to be sorry you
didn't.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Dee wrote:
Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2006 20:09:56 -0700, "Dee" wrote Re
Insulation:

Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Yes, it's ok to put duct tape over the heat tape. I you live in an
area where the temp is below freezing from more than 24 hours, I would
also wrap some insulation around the pipes and heat tape.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Dura wrote:
On 22 Sep 2006 20:09:56 -0700, "Dee" wrote Re
Insulation:

Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Yes, it's ok to put duct tape over the heat tape. I you live in an
area where the temp is below freezing from more than 24 hours, I would
also wrap some insulation around the pipes and heat tape.

But check the duct tape often, it can easily peel away when exposed to
moisture.

There are some specialized tapes used in the insulation business that
are rated for water exposure and still hold fast. These are used to
seal sufaces of isocyanate foam panels with radiant barrier installed on
the foam. The tape completes the air/vapor seal onthe foam panels.

HVAC contractors use a different tape on air ducts as well, one that
will hold fast for YEARS in an unconditioned attic. Garden variety
Duct tape sold at Walmart, ACE Hardware, HomeDepot and Lowes will NOT do
this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep 2006 20:09:56 -0700, "Dee" wrote Re
Insulation:

Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Read this for some help
http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/heat_tape.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dee wrote:
Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

I have plenty of experience with heat tape in northern Minnesota.
Where are you located? How cold does it get there? Where I live the
record low is 50 below zero farenheight. We usually have cold snaps
where it will not get above zero for weeks. It would be unusual when
it gets above freezing.

When using heat tape you use the black electrical tape to hold it in
place. You wrap it about every 12 inches just to secure it. If you
want to go crazy you can even wrap the entire run. it won't hurt
anything and will bring the tape in continuous contact with the pipe
which doesn't hurt any.

It is necessary to insulate the tape to acheive any benefit. You buy
the fiberglass that comes in a long narrrow strip. It is only a few
inches wide and it is wrapped around the pipe in a sprial. You overlap
each spriral by at least half the width of the glass. Depending on
your climate, you can wrap a tighter spriral for more insulation. You
can also wrap the pipe multipe times with the sprial going in the
opposite direction. they say not to stretch the glass but to keep it a
bit loose. I like to warp the first course tight and the other courses
looser.

Don't overlook plastic strips which come in the same package as the
glass strips. You use these to create a vapor barrier around the
glass. Wrap it in a spiral but in the opposite direction that your
final course of glass is wrapped. Then you can wrap it again in the
opposite direction if desired.

For most people that will be enough. If you live where it gets really
cold like where I live then there are other things you can do as well
mostly involving insulating underneath the trailer and around the
perimeter.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

What he said.

On 23 Sep 2006 06:32:40 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

Dee wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Dee wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I'd skirt the trailer with insulation first. And couple light bulbs
burning may do the job instead of heat tape. I live in Alberta.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dee wrote:
Was wondering, I live in a trailer, so some of my plastic water pipes
are exposed to the outside air under trailer, when i put my heat tape
on the pipe, is it ok to use anything tight over the heat tape, must i
use insulation over the heat tape, is duct tape ok to use over the heat
tape??

Last Fall I spoke with the folks at Frost King, which makes some
tape-style pipe warmers. They said their products should never be
surrounded by ordinary insulation, tape, etc. There is a fire hazard.