Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil-based vs. water-based stuff

The two recent threads describing one person's travails with Thompson's
Water Seal bring to mind something that's been bugging me recently
concerning this. I recently refinished a friend's front door, an
oak-veneered Craftsman (genre of architecture, not brand name) that was
severely weathered. When I was buying veneer to patch it, I asked the
people at the hardwood store what they recommended for varnish: they
told me that their brand of water-based varnish was the stuff to use,
and should last 10 years or so. (I forget what brand; maybe McCloskey?)
It wasn't cheap.

Anyhow, I followed their suggestion. When it came time to varnish, I was
really disappointed at the look of the varnish, both in the can (it was
milky) and as it went on. It turned out OK, sort of: there were a few
spots of old varnish I couldn't quite remove, and these showed through
as blotches. It looks better than before I worked on it, but I have the
nagging feeling that an oil-based varnish would have blended with the
old varnish better.

I understand why states and counties are moving towards banning
oil-based stuff: I know about VOCs, and as a human being, I appreciate
not having to breathe photochemical smog. But I still prefer oil-based
paint and varnish. It just goes on so much more smoothly than
water-based stuff. It's too bad the substitute is so poor by comparison.
(Except for clean-up, which is a lot easier with water-based.)

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)

The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 14th 05 07:02 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM