Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower problems

Hi everyone!

I have removed and replaced the caulk around my tub 3 times in the past 7
years and it is black again. I think there is moisture inside the walls and
the mildew is coming from inside since I can't scrub it off or even fade it
with bleach. Another reason I expect moisture from the inside is that I
always have ants in that bathroom even when it is freezing outside. (The
yard outside that side of the house is a toxic waste of ant killers. I
don't see them outside, just in the bathroom.)

So, I am assuming that I need to take down the tile wall, which isn't all
that bad because the previous owner was a DIY'er who did an awful job of the
tile work.

How do I go about this? Pop each tile off or just get a sledge hammer and
have at it?

After I get this part done, I will post on what I find inside. I am
expecting wet insulation and a colony of ants!

Thanks!

Suzi

Posted to alt.home.repair

hire an exterminator who will be licensed to use stronger odorless ant
killer than you can buy.
he might just knock out the ants in one effective visit. if you are
spraying the usual hardware store spray anywhere but at their trail or
nest you may be accidentally detouring them.
buy some extra shower curtain liners and adjustable rods to get you
thru the tile job ahead.
hire the plumber, he will cut an inspection hole in the wall to see
exactly where the tub leak is occurring, maybe at the fixture, maybe at
the showerhead riser, maybe at the overflow tub fitting, maybe at the
drain, maybe when you stand in the tub the water deflects to the
showerhead wall and runs to problem areas.
the moisture might be coming from overhead roof/eaves/gutter/downspout
leak. clean out roof gutters and have the plumber snake any outdoor
downspouts and traps.

sp628 wrote:
[...]

electric shower problems [email protected] UK diy 7 August 17th 06 06:38 PM
Water Pressure Problems - Electric Shower [email protected] UK diy 6 April 2nd 06 11:29 PM
Poor shower Hugo Nebula UK diy 27 December 14th 05 08:27 PM
Leaking Tile Shower [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 31st 05 11:51 PM
power shower problems mp UK diy 15 May 14th 05 03:35 PM