Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool washer whine - motor coupling? pump?

Our whirlpool washer (direct drive) was making a whining noise, and
then quit altogether. I found that the motor coupling had broken, so I
replaced it. That worked, but it was still whining. I had not noticed
the whine before, but my wife (who does most of the laundry) said that
after the coupler replacement, it seemed to be louder. After a few
loads of clothes, she noticed water on the floor, so I pulled it
apart, and found that the pump had failed. It was real weird - it
looked like the plastic had melted, and there were these blobs of dark
colored melted plastic on the outside. So I figured, "hey, I guess two
things can go out at once", so I replaced the pump, and all seemed
well. The whine was gone, and the washer worked. My wife called this
morning to say it was whining again., but still working - so far.

Anyone have any idea what in the world might be going on here?
Everything seemed fine with the motor and such - all the parts came off
and went back together pretty easily, nothing seemed bent or broken or
otherwise amiss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I replaced the coupler and the water pump (twice) on mine. Never had
any "whine".

I hope you shopped around for the water pump. Prices vary
dramatically. The first time I replaced the pump I paid full retail
at the local appliance parts store. The second time I shopped the
internet and found it for half the price. The other day I saw a pile
of them, brand new in boxes, for 4 bucks each, at the local surplus
store. I picked up half a dozen. I figured if the pump went out
twice, it will go out again (I tend to keep my appliances - the dryer
is now 27 years old).

Did you notice that the new replacement coupler you bought looks
different from the original one? Or was the original so chewed up you
couldn't tell? They re-designed the coupler since the failure rate
was so high. Any Whirlpool washer owners reading this thread? Look
under your machine. If you see a pile of black rubber crumbs, your
coupler is self-destructing. It won't be long now...

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP, you can see if the new pump you installed is giving you problems by
removing the attachment clips and swinging it aside, then put the
machine in spin. The basket will begin to rotate, but since the pump
is not attached to the motor, it will be silent. If the sound is gone,
the pump is the problem and you should replace it.

On the other hand, if the pump you installed is not correctly seated
with all 4 feet firmly against the motor, it can make some noise. To
seat is correctly, give it a whack with your hand, or just remove it
and install it again.