Posted to alt.home.repair
CJ CJ is offline

Default Fitting a Vinyl Replacement window in the Rough Opening

I am installing a vinyl replacement window (30 1/4 inches by 44 1/4
inches) and the rough opening is 30 3/4 inches by 45 inches. I have
taken out the old window and I have fit the new one into the rough
opening.

My question is: Does the new vinyl window allow for extension left to
right and top to bottom to make it flush with the rough opening? Is
there a screw(s) to modify the dimensions of the window once the
installer has it in place. I know I have to caulk the inner perimeter
of the window once it is fully installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 20 Sep 2006 11:58:05 -0700, "CJ" wrote:

I am installing a vinyl replacement window (30 1/4 inches by 44 1/4
inches) and the rough opening is 30 3/4 inches by 45 inches. I have
taken out the old window and I have fit the new one into the rough
opening.

My question is: Does the new vinyl window allow for extension left to
right and top to bottom to make it flush with the rough opening? Is
there a screw(s) to modify the dimensions of the window once the
installer has it in place. I know I have to caulk the inner perimeter
of the window once it is fully installed.

You need a good pair of shears or cutter and maybe a hacksaw. That
plus plenty of caulk will make it look like it fits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I had mine installed, (aluminium replacements, not vinyl) the
installers had 10' long sticks of aluminum with a white baked on
finish. It was about 1 1/2" tall with a 1/4" foot on one side, kind of
like asymmetrical angle iron. They got them level and plumb then
trimmed them out with the angle aluminum. It sounds more crude than it
looks, I'm actually pretty happy with the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

windows are made to be shimmed, they can not be the exact size of the
opening or they will bind when the weather get's warm.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

CJ wrote:
I am installing a vinyl replacement window (30 1/4 inches by 44 1/4
inches) and the rough opening is 30 3/4 inches by 45 inches. I have
taken out the old window and I have fit the new one into the rough
opening.

My question is: Does the new vinyl window allow for extension left to
right and top to bottom to make it flush with the rough opening? Is
there a screw(s) to modify the dimensions of the window once the
installer has it in place. I know I have to caulk the inner perimeter
of the window once it is fully installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Sep 2006 11:58:05 -0700, "CJ" wrote:

I am installing a vinyl replacement window (30 1/4 inches by 44 1/4
inches) and the rough opening is 30 3/4 inches by 45 inches. I have
taken out the old window and I have fit the new one into the rough
opening.

My question is: Does the new vinyl window allow for extension left to
right and top to bottom to make it flush with the rough opening? Is
there a screw(s) to modify the dimensions of the window once the
installer has it in place. I know I have to caulk the inner perimeter
of the window once it is fully installed.

Vinyl replacement windows that drop into the original frame are
typically sized 1/2 to 3/4" smaller than the opening.
The outer sash stops in the frame should have been left in place.
These stops plus caulking will cover any gap on the outside.
The inside trim should have been removed before the vinyl window was
put in place. The side and top trim is then reinstalled, covering the
inside gaps. Also, most come with a top cap that can be raised or
lowered to cover any top gap.

There are side adjustment screws in these windows.They are only to
insure that the sides of the frame are plumb. The screws are turned in
or out to eliminate any bowing.

Most of these windows, if they are sold by H-D or Lowe's, etc, come
with an instruction sheet that explains the above. Even if you don't
buy your windows there, you can pick up one of those sheets.

Doug

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
vinyl replacement windows mid787 Home Ownership 2 January 12th 06 09:56 PM
Thermo-Tite Experience (Window Replacement) TrainsintheMembrane Home Repair 4 September 11th 05 07:54 PM
Fitting new first-floor window Lobster UK diy 3 April 20th 05 07:20 AM