Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Art Art is offline

Default Grunge Develops Out of the Main Toilet Jet

Have you checked inside the toilet tank to see what is going on in there?
If this is a regular toilet, not a powerflush mechanism, you could throw in
an in tank toilet clearner and see if that kills whats growing in there.

"jim evans" wrote in message
I keep having to clean the area in front of the main jet in one of my
toilets. There's no problem with the rest of the bowl but almost
immediately after cleaning a grunge begins to grow starting at the
main jet and moving out from it almost like a liquid slowing draining
out.

Picture http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4182/mainjetuu1.jpg

It may take a couple of weeks to grow from the jet to the discharge
area. This time I've let it go for about 3-4 weeks.

Every time I clean it I pour bleach into the bowl and let it sit for
10-15 minutes, but it doesn't prevent this.

Before the unclever cracks begin this is not crap, it's some kind of
fungus or algae, etc.

-- jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"jim evans" wrote in message
I keep having to clean the area in front of the main jet in one of my
toilets. There's no problem with the rest of the bowl but almost
immediately after cleaning a grunge begins to grow starting at the
main jet and moving out from it almost like a liquid slowing draining
out.

Picture http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4182/mainjetuu1.jpg

It may take a couple of weeks to grow from the jet to the discharge
area. This time I've let it go for about 3-4 weeks.

Every time I clean it I pour bleach into the bowl and let it sit for
10-15 minutes, but it doesn't prevent this.

Before the unclever cracks begin this is not crap, it's some kind of
fungus or algae, etc.

-- jim

I'd agree with Art, checkout the condition inside the tank.

Just a WAG but looks like rust....... does the bleach get rid of it or
do you have to scrub it? DO you have galv pipes or high iron content
in the water?

Maybe you have a very slow leak at the flapper / pig nose that lets
stuff slow flow over this area?

I'd clean out the tank with bleach, then CLR then bleach....rinsing
well between chemicals.

I have toilet (really old) that occasioanly grows some black agae? in
the crazing of the glaze in the water spot. A splash of bleach left
for a few minutes gets rid of it for weeks but it comes back once in
awhile???

Cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Perhaps its not flushing well.......

Check the bowl rim holes for deposits...

if they clog the flush isnt as good and may leave stuff to grow
on......

you can drain the bowl then put acid down the overflow. this will clean
the interior toliet passages.