Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ...Installing Fridge with Ice maker...

....Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing, but how is best to cut
it?....I'm sittig here with a test piece, let's hear your ideas!...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" writes:

...Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing, but how is best to cut
it?....I'm sittig here with a test piece, let's hear your ideas!...

Given that refrigerator icemakers are among the things most likely to
leak and lead to a homeowners insurance claim, I think I'd trash that
line and opt for a braided stainless no-burst supply line. At least
that was the advice of my plumber neighbor when I was faced with a
similar task recently. Handed me a braided line right out of his
truck.

But if you wanna forge ahead with the plastic line, I'd be tempted to
throw my newish bolt cutter at the task you have in front of you.
Absent that, I'd try a hacksaw or if I was desperate, a lopping
shears.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair

A standard utility knife usually works well. Keep the cut a square as
possible.

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
...Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing, but how is best to cut
it?....I'm sittig here with a test piece, let's hear your ideas!...

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Mark :
A standard utility knife usually works well. Keep the cut a square as
possible.

I often use pruning shears. Even on 1/2" and 3/4" flexible PVC tubing.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sharp Muslim Boarding pass. Use a piece of wood as a backer.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
....Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing, but how is best to cut
it?....I'm sittig here with a test piece, let's hear your ideas!...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 14 Sep 2006 19:08:05 -0700, "John"
wrote:

...Hi All, I'm going with the plastic tubing,

Why? I have a friend whose plastic tubing to the fridge sprang a
leak. Fortuneately, we were all in her basement when it did so, and
we saw the water coming down from the sealing. How often do you check
out under the refrigerator, especially when you are away for 2 weeks.

And I don't have an ice maker, but my plastic tubing to the humidifier
sprang a leak, and not close to the furnace either. I don't long know
how long it ran before I noticed it, but the two open drawers of the
file cabinet were pretty wet inside.