Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical problem

(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in
the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The
other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my
fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the
past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of
those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the
circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself
became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

You did not mention how large the home is or how may circuits it might have.

I worded it that way because it might be possible that one leg, main fuse.
or breaker might be bad.

Post back with more info and I or some one will help you.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Darren Garrison wrote:
(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

Most likely it is the first or second outlet on the circuit, especially
if the wires were pushed in rather than screwed on. The first one may
have broken the circuit to the second, or the second one has its power
input broken. Start with the first one, checking its output connections,
then the second, checking its input connection.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Darren Garrison wrote:
(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

Just because the fuse looks good doesn't mean that it is. Swap it with
another one to find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

this is why you should always try to get electrical schematics of your
house, makes it easier to trace these problems.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Darren Garrison wrote:
(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:16:44 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

You did not mention how large the home is or how may circuits it might have.

I worded it that way because it might be possible that one leg, main fuse.
or breaker might be bad.

It looks to be just two circuits, one for the front half of the house and one
from the back. The fuse box has 4 spaces for screw type fuses and between those
two pull-out boxes with two large cylinder fuses in each. I swapped every one
of the fuses around without solving the problem. I mapped out which rooms were
effected when each fuse was removed. There was one fuse that didn't effect
anything, so I assumed that it was for the circuit in the lightless area. So I
removed that fuse and started to remove the light switch to the first problem
light. And got a tingle of electricity. I had to remove a different fuse to
get the power to that area to go off. So I found out two things-- that the fuse
isn't the problem because power reaches the kitchen which is on the same
circuit, and that the power does reach the light switch in the first room where
the light doesn't work. So whatever the problem is, it must be between the
switch and the first non-working light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 19:02:32 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:

(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the
second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other
outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses
are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past
(but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those
elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut
for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became
damaged before reaching any of those things?

"stopped working" is vague.

Did you use a circuit tester? You might have an infamous 'floating
wire" in you panel or another box.

later,

tom @ www.Donate-Car-2-Charity.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If only one light was out the problem could be from switch to light.
With more than the light out it sounds like an open neutral.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:12:04 -0400, Tom The Great wrote:

"stopped working" is vague.

Did you use a circuit tester? You might have an infamous 'floating
wire" in you panel or another box.

Unfortunately, I haven't used a multimeter in so long that I no longer know
where mine is, and I didn't have one of those little circuit testers. All I
knew is that there was enough of a current for me to feel a tingle when I
touched it thinking I had pulled the right fuse, but not enough to make anything
work. Today I found that the outlet in the kitchen closest to the wall to that
room didn't work, took it out and found no problem, then went to the next outlet
over, which did work, and it had a loose wire on the "out" side. Screwing that
wire back in place solved my problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look for a GFI outlet that might have been installed in the kitchen or bath,
or even outside, that might be tripped. If they replaced an older outlet
with a GFI, they may have put the rest of the circuit beyond the outlet on
hte GFI. If it tripped, all beyond would go out as well.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:41:46 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:12:04 -0400, Tom The Great wrote:

"stopped working" is vague.

Did you use a circuit tester? You might have an infamous 'floating
wire" in you panel or another box.

Unfortunately, I haven't used a multimeter in so long that I no longer know
where mine is, and I didn't have one of those little circuit testers. All I
knew is that there was enough of a current for me to feel a tingle when I
touched it thinking I had pulled the right fuse, but not enough to make anything
work. Today I found that the outlet in the kitchen closest to the wall to that
room didn't work, took it out and found no problem, then went to the next outlet
over, which did work, and it had a loose wire on the "out" side. Screwing that
wire back in place solved my problems.

imho:

I would get a circuit tester from one of the large box home stores.
They run about $5, and can tell if there might be an open neutral,
etc.

I would strongly suggest you get a qualified person/electrician, when
it comes to trouble shooting electric circuits.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Household electrical problem Warlock49766 Electronics Repair 1 March 27th 06 12:28 AM
Electrical problem Mogweed UK diy 41 November 14th 05 05:29 PM
Tough electrical problem! Habsfan Home Repair 7 February 14th 05 07:03 PM
HELP! Electrical problem. Spike Metalworking 5 July 14th 04 06:58 PM
electrical problem HomeBrewer Home Repair 19 May 4th 04 02:50 AM