Posted to alt.home.repair

Default baseboard heaters on 30 A circuit

Greetings,

Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit? If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft? Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?

Thanks again,
William

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit?

There are many different sizes of "standard" heaters. What is hte rating?

If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft?

Not with a 30A breaker

Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?

I have no idea what you mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit?

There are many different sizes of "standard" heaters. What is hte rating?

In this case the heaters are rated at 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000W
depending on if they are 2/4/6/8 feet long.

If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft?

Not with a 30A breaker

Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?

Some breakers allow multiple wires to be connected to them.

I have no idea what you mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit?

There are many different sizes of "standard" heaters. What is hte
rating?

In this case the heaters are rated at 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000W
depending on if they are 2/4/6/8 feet long.

Possibly. The instructions should tell you the maximum breaker you can use.
I expect it is a 20a, but maybe not.

If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft?

Not with a 30A breaker

Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?

Some breakers allow multiple wires to be connected to them.

You can't put #12 on a circuit protected by a 30a breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Sep 2006 07:44:03 -0700, "
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Can standard baseboard heaters be placed onto a 30A circuit provided I
use 10 AWG Cu wire? Or is there some requirement that they only be
placed onto a 15/20A circuit?

There are many different sizes of "standard" heaters. What is hte rating?

In this case the heaters are rated at 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000W
depending on if they are 2/4/6/8 feet long.

If I do place them onto a 30A circuit
can I make 12 AWG taps to individual heaters provided that the taps are
less than 50 ft?

Not with a 30A breaker

Can a "tap" come directly from the breaker box?

Some breakers allow multiple wires to be connected to them.

I have a Square D breaker right here. The clamp where you attach the
load wire has places to connect 2 wires There's some markings on the
side that show 2 wires for 14 to 10 gauge, but only 1 for 8 gauge.

I have no idea what you mean.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

Posted to alt.home.repair

you should try to rate your usage the same as your protection.

if you have 30 amp breakers you should use 10gauge for anything that it
goes to, or at least to the wall termination because you don't know
whta the next guy will do with it.

Empress2454 #124457

Games that I like to play