Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub Replacement or Refinishing? Acrylic?

Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RayV wrote:
Your wife, just like everyone else's is right.

Wow, you mean my husband has a wife that's always right?
I should meet her sometime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HomeDecoy wrote:
RayV wrote:
Your wife, just like everyone else's is right.

Wow, you mean my husband has a wife that's always right?
I should meet her sometime.

One of his wives probably is right all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

There are people who do tub refinishing for reasonable prices. I would try
one of them before ruining a tub with an epoxy kit.

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Home Depot, probably others, sell an epoxy based paint kit for tubs.
It is time consuming because you need to 'wash' the tub with an acid,
rinse thoroughly, let dry overnight, paint the tub, let dry for at
least two days. Everything needed is included in the kit for about $40
(acid, paint, roller, etc). Just use gloves and goggles and be
prepared for an awful smell for about a week from the paint.

Results are ok but probably just as good as a plastic insert would be.
It's only $40, give it a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bathfitters originally developed for hotels to get more life from
existing tubs. hotels plan on bathfitters then 5 years later gut bath
and start over.

its a good temporary fix, long tewrm a new tub is better

Posted to alt.home.repair

My neighbor had hers done ... there is one piece for the shower and one
piece for the tub. She says it sure is easier to keep clean as far as
mold and mildew goes. We are in FL. where that is a big problem.
Anyway, my tub was acrylic (house built in '83) and I had it refinished
two years ago. It didn't hold up too well. Now I need to decide
whether to get a new tub or have the "re-bath" people come out. I
would like to know if it is possible to take out the old tub and
replace it without taking out the lavatory and commode ... the room
measures 5x7 and the tub is on the far wall with a window over it. If
I have to take out the other stuff, I believe the costs for labor would
be so high that it would not be practical to buy new tub. Does anyone
know? The re-bath price is quite high...according to neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

she is very opposed.

As she should be. Get a real tub, get a quality tub. Do the job right.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:21:18 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Don't let her use comet in any new tub. It ruins the finish.

I agree with that. I wouldn't use any powder cleanser on a tub,
unless it was ruined already. They feel better and look better when
they are smooth, and I don't think any finish stays smooth with powder
cleansers (except maybe the one with the little chicken on the can and
the motto "It hasn't scratched yet", but I don't even use that. I
know her mother used Comet, so did my mother (although I don't know
why. She was at least 40 years old before it came out. I was 5 or
10), but they have invented other things now. I use scrubbing
bubbles (DOW?) and although for a few months, the name annoyed me, and
the fact that I could rub all the dirt off in certain places (while I
was in the tub, which of course makes the water dirtier, and there
were places where it didn't work) made me feel I was wasting my money.
But I'm back to being happy with it, as I have been 90% of the time.
(If you let it sit for too long after spraying, it dries out, and when
you wet it again, it's not as easy to remove the dirt as when it only
sat for a couple minutes)

As to Bath Fitter, they are beautiful tubs. They come in several
colors and even swirls. The house across the street just got a white
one put in. There are similar products sold probably at both Lowes
and HD. For sure I saw one in the exit room at Lowes a week ago.

There are two reasons I don't get it. A)It would take a quarter to a
half inch off the length of my tub, I think, (is that true?) and the
tub is already too short.

B) I have an epoxee paint that I want to try first. Because my tub
was so uncomfortable, I made a foam rubber cushion, 4 inches thick,
the width of the tub, and from 6 inches above to the top to 6 inches
below. That was very comfortable!! But the bottom never dried and it
ruined a strip of finish about an inch high most of the way across the
end of the tub.

Now I make a cushion that is half as tall, just goes above the tub,
doesn't get wet, and it's just as comfortable. I wish I had known
that befofre. Neither cushion has a cover, because I coudln't think
of how to make one, and I have to replace the thing every 5 or 6 years
when it gets too dirty, or sags in the middle.

I expect if you treat these things right, they'll look as good after
10 years as they do new. If not, then you can get a whole new tub,
and that tub will be ten years newer than it otherwise would be. Arem
t bath fitters a lot cheaper than the standard replacement, with
plastering and everything? I can think you can dicker about price
with bath fitter. More like a car than a Double Whopper.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 6 Sep 2006 15:14:02 -0700, "Dottie" wrote:

My neighbor had hers done ... there is one piece for the shower and one
piece for the tub. She says it sure is easier to keep clean as far as
mold and mildew goes. We are in FL. where that is a big problem.
Anyway, my tub was acrylic (house built in '83) and I had it refinished
two years ago. It didn't hold up too well. Now I need to decide
whether to get a new tub or have the "re-bath" people come out. I
would like to know if it is possible to take out the old tub and
replace it without taking out the lavatory and commode ... the room
measures 5x7 and the tub is on the far wall with a window over it. If
I have to take out the other stuff, I believe the costs for labor would
be so high that it would not be practical to buy new tub. Does anyone
know? The re-bath price is quite high...according to neighbor.

Is your bathroom like the bathroom in an airplane, where everything is
one piece? If not, why would you have to take out the sink and
commode?

To give them space to work, I don't think so.
Why else?

The bath fitter type price is high, but isn't it still a lot lower
than a new tub? That is, if you have a built in tub with the ends
covered by the walls. If one end and one side is not against a wall,
you can just pull out the tub and put in the new one, I assume. If
you have a tub on legs, it's even easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:47:01 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

she is very opposed.

As she should be. Get a real tub, get a quality tub. Do the job right.

Easy to spend someone else's money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

wrote in message

she is very opposed.

As she should be. Get a real tub, get a quality tub. Do the job right.

Easy to spend someone else's money.

He asked for an opinion. I gave one. I'd spend my money the same way.
Doing a half assed re-model does not make sense. It is much more costly a
year or two from now if they made the wrong decision with the acrylic and
want to replace the entire tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RayV" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
[...]

I've read that the new urethane finishes are the best;they don't yellow and
stay glossy;you clean them with 409 or Fantastic.

I haven't seen any DIY kits yet,though.

I was looking around on Google,and a company offers a 2 part urethane paint
for $90,for BT refinishing. Kromakote 8901-8;3 qts.(2 resin,1 hardener)
I have not tried this product.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can tell you all about it. I bought my house 2 years ago with a
bathtub insert and surround. Looked good, but in reality not very
good. I would estimate the insert and surround to be at least 5 years
old. Not sure which company installed it, probably not Bathtub
Fitters, as they keep a database of past customers and I called them
first when the problem arouse.

Typically refits are 3 to 4 pieces, I have found from my research.
Bathtub insert, surround and ceiling. The problem is keeping the the
insert and surrond where they meet sealed from leaks. A molding type
of stripe was used in my bathroom. But in various places this pulled
away, the strip had lost its stickiness. I used silicone where the
stripe had pulled away from the wall. However one too many hot showers
in one morning caused the stripe to again pull away and water got
between the insert and the bathtub.

As I could not find away to remove the water, after talking to various
people, I decided the best thing to do was to have it all pulled out.
The surrond was replaced with nice tile. And the bathtub refinished
(usually about $250). Its been 3 weeks since the remodel and I LOVE
it. Everything works the way its supposed to and looks great!

I would not recommend bathtub inserts/surronds to anyone unless it is a
short term fix. My bathroom redo was $2400 (MD prices) and included
replacing the plaster wall with cement board. I have to wonder can a
bath refitter do it for so much less?

If I had the money I would have replaced the bathtub too, but decided
to try the refinish on the old tub, even with the mixed longevity on
these finishes I have heard reported.

G'hillside

wrote:
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Studies have shown that homes where the bath tub that is not filled
with water, stay ring free. Apparently they still used the bath, but
only for taking showers. As far as the plastics go, it only takes one
helping hand to come along once and clean the tub with the wrong
cleaner to ruin it. Someone who is visiting and feels that they should
help out, so they clean the tub for you. Other things like dropping
finger nail polish remover will put a big blemish in it. But maybe the
chances of that happening over a 5 years period are zero. The good
thing about plastic tubs are that the hot water will stay hot longer in
it. I personally can,t soak myself in a tub that is not all shined up.
I feel that germs cannot live in shiny objects. I have never seen any
home paint be as good as the factory baked on stuff. In fact, I have
never seen a do it yourself kit for any project to be as good as what
they did at the factory. My ideal bathroom would be seamless, no
corners, nothing dark or dark shadows, all surfaces glossy, and cool
white, and no busy designs like marble or such, a slopping floor with a
drain. If you can bring in a fire hose for a good rinse, if it looks
clean and dry when done, perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:

Maybe a water softener would eliminate the rings in the tub.

That's one way. Another way is to not use (real) soap.

Yet another way is to use a lime soap dispersant when (real) soap is
used, either mixed with the soap or added separately to the water (as
bath foam, for instance).

Yet another way is to use the shower only, and not let the water back
up. You may still get a layer of scum, just not as prominent as a
ring.

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair

My bathroom is 5x7. The tub is at one end with a wall on three sides.
The commode is a few inches away and the vanity a few inches on the
other side of the commode. I had thought there would not be enough
room to take the tub out without moving the commode at least.

I've been using spray on Comet for cleaning since replacing both shower
doors....one set of doors came with the recommendation to use it and it
has worked well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 03:30:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

news
wrote:

wrote in message

she is very opposed.

As she should be. Get a real tub, get a quality tub. Do the job right.

Easy to spend someone else's money.

He asked for an opinion. I gave one.

You're right. Sorry.

I'd spend my money the same way.

I didn't doubt that.

Doing a half assed re-model does not make sense. It is much more costly a
year or two from now if they made the wrong decision with the acrylic and
want to replace the entire tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair
amy amy is offline

All I have to say is don't get it refinished. We had it done about 2
years ago and had them come back twice to fix cracks in the paint, and
the third time it happened we gave up and threw a bath mat on it. Then
of course we couldn't pull it up for cleaning without it pulling up the
rest of the paint so we had a mildew problem. Now I cant give my 2 and
4 year olds baths-- they have to take showers every night! So, I am in
the same boat as you, trying to decide on what to do with the bathtub.
I can say that I feel sick after hearing the renovation prices people
have talked about on this thread!
wrote:
Our bathroom is due for a remodeling. The tub is the major item that
has caused disagreement between me and my wife. It is a 20 something
American Standard enamel model. My wife wants it replaced with the
same type of tub. To avoid the mess I suggested putting in a "Bath
Fitter" acrylic, fit over the old tub alternative that I learned about
on the web. Wife says that since you cannot use powder cleansers (like
Comet) to clean "rings around tub" and there are no 5 or 10 year
installations that we can look at, she is very opposed. Would greatly
appreciate information and opinions about this issue; especially as to
any known problems or possitive information about acrylic bathtubs--new
or fitted over types. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

amy wrote:
All I have to say is don't get it refinished. We had it done about 2
years ago and had them come back twice to fix cracks in the paint, and
the third time it happened we gave up and threw a bath mat on it. Then
of course we couldn't pull it up for cleaning without it pulling up the
rest of the paint so we had a mildew problem. Now I cant give my 2 and
4 year olds baths-- they have to take showers every night! So, I am in
the same boat as you, trying to decide on what to do with the bathtub.
I can say that I feel sick after hearing the renovation prices people
have talked about on this thread!

I too have decided against refinishing it. I'm going to save up and do
it right!

Also, in my bathroom, the window is right there above the tub. Can I
find tubs that allow for this or will I need to actually hire someone
to deal with this? I've never seen tubs with the full surround have an
option for a window.