Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will my voltage drop?

I am in the thinking it out stage of re-wiring my house. I know my
bank balance will drop with the current price of copper but will my
voltage? The house is two-story standard construction with an
unfinished basement and attic access, the breaker box is in the
basement. My goal is disturb as little drywall as possible. The
furthest run will be to an upstairs bedroom.

Rough calculations give me:
50' to the other side of house
30' to first outlet (up to attic and drop to outlet)
25' to next outlet (up to attic, over a few feet, and drop to next
outlet)
25' to next outlet (up to attic, over a few feet, and drop to next
outlet)
25' to next outlet (up to attic, over a few feet, and drop to next
outlet)
25' to next outlet (up to attic, over a few feet, and drop to next
outlet)
25' to next outlet (up to attic, over a few feet, and drop to next
outlet - 6 outlets in room)
205' total estimated feet of wire.

Will voltage drop be a problem using 14/2 wire on a bedroom circuit
205' feet from the panel?

A friend who will be helping me suggested I put a sub panel on the
second floor to cut back on the amount of wire run. While this may be
true I'm not that thrilled with this idea. Main reason being I assume
the inspector will want the sub panel in an accessable area (not a
closet) that will require a 'decorative' picture. Any thoughts on
this?