Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Will my voltage drop?

According to RayV :

wrote:

in a word, yes. firstly, I assume you have 15amp circuits throught,
which should only run 30' on a #14wire to keep under a 2% drop.

snip

Are you certain about the 30 feet? That wouldn't even get me to the
far side of the first floor for one outlet.

Yes, 30 feet is more than a bit extreme.

30' of #14 (approx 1 ohm/1000') has a voltage drop of about .96V at 15A.
Which is 1%. At 2%, that's 60'.

Our codes consider a 3-4% drop permissible - I don't think the
NEC is any stricter. Which is over 100' at 15A.

But 200' is clearly too far.

I wouldn't think twice about using #14 (breakered at 15A) for a general
outlet circuit up to 120' or so, and branches to fixed lighting somewhat
longer. That said, if there's any fixed/heavy/motorized equipment on
it (including a garage door opener or A/C), I think somewhat differently.

You have a number of options to finesse this. Subpanels are nice, but
of course they have to be accessible. Using 12/3 to get two 15A
circuits (shared neutral) "most of the way" (you're talking 200+ feet)
and splitting at a box to 14ga is another.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est