Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Difficult is Taping/Mudding Drywall?

I have done drywall once before, when I re-did a bathroom. That was my
first big DIY project, and I'd do it again.

I bought both paper and fiberglass tape, and I preferred the paper to
the fiberglass.

One thing you might check into, depending on the size job, is if you
are able to rent a tool the pros use. I have seen professionals use a
tool that applies mud and tape simultaneously. It's a long stainless
steel or aluminum box that you fill with mud. Somehow paper tape is
fed through the box with the mud. (picture a hand held spool of
correction tape, only on a bigger scale).

The tool allows the proper amount of mud to be applied to the tape, and
also saves steps by applying tape and mud to the wall all at once
instead of one at a time. The pros use this tool because it adds
effeciency to their job.

I know that i bought a corner trowel, but i can't remember if i liked
it or not. I halfways think I ended up using a one inch putty knife to
do the inside corners instead of the corner trowel.

good luck!