Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI In Line on Fan & Light Switch

Question:

Current set up on 14/3 wire + ground with two switches. One switch
controls the fan, the other switch controls the light:

Believe it is this combination:
Switch 1: Black - controls Fan
Switch 2: Red - controls Light

I would like to move fan/light above the shower but need GFCI (per
Nutone 744NT instructions). Can I somehow install two "inline" GFCI's
after the switchs but before the light and fan. One GFCI for the
black, one for the red. I would put GFCIs in a closet behind the bath
so they are accessible.

To do this I think I would have to wire the GFCIs with just one wire
(i.e. the black or red) or split the white? Otherwise what would I do
with the white (i.e. bypass it on the GFCI or split it so each GFCI
gets a white)?

To further complicate things, I would also probably put additional
recessed lights after the fan/light combo, if this matters.

(thinking of using those blank GFCI w/o the outlets)

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jelso wrote:
[...]

Anything preventing you from just changing the breaker servicing that
line to a GFCI type?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jelso" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Putting GFCI after a switch is unusual. But I suppose you could do that.
Each GFCI needs a hot and a neutral to work. There is no such thing as
inline GFCI. It needs to see the current in both the hot and the neutral
wire.

If possible, put the GFCI before the split and the switches. This involves
minimum wiring changes and you only need to mount one GFCI. But if you have
no access to the wires before the split/switches, then I guess you can't.

Using a GFCI circuit breaker is another possible solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anything preventing you from just changing the breaker servicing that
line to a GFCI type?

Jeff

This circuit also powers a master bedroom in addition to the bath.
Would that present any issues for a GFCI. Doesn't seem like it?

I don't understand whey when the previous owners remodled a about 7
years ago why they didn't just install a GFCI breaker.

Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jelso wrote:
Anything preventing you from just changing the breaker servicing that
line to a GFCI type?

Jeff

This circuit also powers a master bedroom in addition to the bath.
Would that present any issues for a GFCI. Doesn't seem like it?

Doesn't seem like it would to me either. You might want to look into
using an "arc fault" CGCI for a bit mores safety if you decide to
change the breaker.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jelso wrote:
Anything preventing you from just changing the breaker servicing that
line to a GFCI type?

Jeff

This circuit also powers a master bedroom in addition to the bath.
Would that present any issues for a GFCI. Doesn't seem like it?

Should be OK.

I don't understand whey when the previous owners remodled a about 7
years ago why they didn't just install a GFCI breaker.

Thx

Because they are expensive compared to a GFCI receptacle. You may be
able to install a GFCI receptacle in the switch box then feed a stack
switch off the load side of the GFCI receptacle for the light/fan.