Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost for Aerating Lawn?

Hi,

My lawn is about 12,500 - 13,000 square feet. I had a local company service
it for a few years and then took a few years off. I recently decided to have
national company Scott's treat it. For the square footage, they said it
would be $200 to Aerate and $200 to overseed.

Do those prices sound right? I have no idea on the overseeding, but I seem
to recall the local company saying they would charge around $60 or $70 to
Aerate. I just want to know what a fair price to aerate a lawn of this size
would be and if I am getting ripped off or not.

Thanks!
Garrett

Posted to alt.home.repair

big franchise company charge more, having to pay for scotts name use.

why not call the local company for a free price quote.

I rented a machine one and diod 2 lawns myself it was hard work

bucking bronco heavy work

Posted to alt.home.repair

tterrag smis wrote:
Hi,

My lawn is about 12,500 - 13,000 square feet. I had a local company service
it for a few years and then took a few years off. I recently decided to have
national company Scott's treat it. For the square footage, they said it
would be $200 to Aerate and $200 to overseed.

Do those prices sound right? I have no idea on the overseeding, but I seem
to recall the local company saying they would charge around $60 or $70 to
Aerate. I just want to know what a fair price to aerate a lawn of this size
would be and if I am getting ripped off or not.

Thanks!
Garrett

Did you at least get kissed when they gave you this quote. Rent the
aerater and do it yourself. Best to do after it rains. Get a spreader
and buy the seed to overseed. Take the $200 bucks you will save and
mail me half.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tterrag smis" wrote in message
Hi,

My lawn is about 12,500 - 13,000 square feet. I had a local company
service it for a few years and then took a few years off. I recently
decided to have national company Scott's treat it. For the square footage,
they said it would be $200 to Aerate and $200 to overseed.

Do those prices sound right? I have no idea on the overseeding, but I seem
to recall the local company saying they would charge around $60 or $70 to
Aerate. I just want to know what a fair price to aerate a lawn of this
size would be and if I am getting ripped off or not.

Thanks!
Garrett

That actually sounds about right. Half of what they charge is probably
labor. It cost me 70 bucks to rent an aerator and power rake for 2 hours
this spring If you tack on 100 bucks for labor charge (yes I know that
sounds impossibly high for a few hours work), it comes out okay.

Personally, I'd do it myself, it wasn't difficult, the only thing I would
have saved would have been the 4 hours of raking up all that damned moss I
pulled out with the P-rake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:12:57 -0500, "tterrag smis"
wrote:

Hi,

My lawn is about 12,500 - 13,000 square feet. I had a local company service
it for a few years and then took a few years off. I recently decided to have
national company Scott's treat it. For the square footage, they said it
would be $200 to Aerate and $200 to overseed.

Do those prices sound right? I have no idea on the overseeding, but I seem
to recall the local company saying they would charge around $60 or $70 to
Aerate. I just want to know what a fair price to aerate a lawn of this size
would be and if I am getting ripped off or not.

Thanks!
Garrett

The labor costs can vary greatly. Takes about 10 minutes to overseed
my lawn (18,000 sqft) plus $85 worth of high-quality seed (about 50
lbs). The $70 to aerate sounds reasonable. Knowing what to do and
when to do it is very important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

$70 to aerate 13,000 sq ft? Here in NJ you couldn't even get anyone
to come look at the job for that! It costs $50 just to rent one for 4
hours to do it yourself. And $200 to overseed is quite a bargain too,
considering the price of any half way decent seed and again just
renting a slice seeder is $50 for 4 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before doing any aerating I suggest you check with your local county
extension office. Lawn aerating like so many lawn services has been greatly
over sold. In some situation it is useful, but I would guess that most of
the time, it is a total waste of time and money.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"tterrag smis" wrote in message
Hi,

My lawn is about 12,500 - 13,000 square feet. I had a local company
service it for a few years and then took a few years off. I recently
decided to have national company Scott's treat it. For the square footage,
they said it would be $200 to Aerate and $200 to overseed.

Do those prices sound right? I have no idea on the overseeding, but I seem
to recall the local company saying they would charge around $60 or $70 to
Aerate. I just want to know what a fair price to aerate a lawn of this
size would be and if I am getting ripped off or not.

Thanks!
Garrett

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:24:00 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Before doing any aerating I suggest you check with your local county
extension office. Lawn aerating like so many lawn services has been greatly
over sold. In some situation it is useful, but I would guess that most of
the time, it is a total waste of time and money.

This is true. It makes no sense to aerate soil that is not compacted.
Earthworms aerate naturally. However, how a lawn is used can make a
big difference. Playing volleyball everyday or driving over the lawn
will compact the soil. If your soil is 6.5 pH, adding inexpensive
lime will help loosen the soil.