Posted to alt.home.repair

Default high humidity with newly installed system

I recently had a geo comfort pardyne system installed. i have 3 ton
horizontol loop field with a 2.5 ton paradyne system.

i have air handler in attic (no basement) with everything insulated.

my issue is that my weather station in my house shows R.H. from 53-65%.
I complained to the installer and he had the supply rep come out to my
house with him and they went over everything.

I am getting some condensate from the drain, but not sure how much
itshould be. the thing cools great no problems. the unit is now short
cycling. I checked the coil and there is no air bypassing around the
coil, and even thought the istallers left some blown fiber glass
insulation in duct there was VERY little on coil.

the supply rep tells me that the "TXV" valve is always trying to
balance the freon and where you used to get 20 degree temp drop across
the coil you now get more like 14 degrees and so just can't de-humidify
like the old a/c systems.

he says I should not worry about the R.H., his instruments show it was
around 54%.

I have not paid the installer yet because of this and want to pay if I
should but don't want to if something needs to be fixed because I will
not have a "carrot" then.

I've read where humidty levels above 50% can lead to mold, dust mite
issues, etc. am I just being paranoid and should pay?

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

that guy wrote:
[...]

First, I admit I know nothing about all the technical details, but
since nobody has replied yet:

Most sources seem to recommend RH 30-50%. I just bought a rh meter a
couple of weeks ago so I'm still interested in watching it in different
rooms, with my AC off it's often over 50% this time of year, sometimes
over 60% without discomfort. I have no doubt that's happy time for
molds, though. My old decrepit AC struggles a lot to keep up, so I
don't get a real stable humidity level when it's on. I keep the
dehumidifier in the basement at 40%, and that's made a huge difference
in livability.

Dehumidification is related to how long the AC is on. I.e., if AC is
oversized and only goes on briefly, it won't dehumidify as much as one
that is undersized and struggles and is on all the time. I'm sure that
relates to your hard data you give on your system, but I'm not sure
exactly what it means in terms of OK installation or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

that guy wrote:
[...]

Probably...

Not sure exactly what you mean by "short cycling" -- if you mean the
unit only runs for very short periods at a time in maintaining the
temperature setpoint, unless the outside temperature at the present is
quite cool that would indicate perhaps the unit is oversized for the
house and so isn't running long enough to have time to adequately
dehumidify.

How hot is it outside and what is outside humidity? If it's cool and
very damp, I wouldn't worry. If it's very hot and damp, that's a
little concern. If it's very hot and outside humidity isn't much
higher than inside, _then_ I think the sizing calculations (there were
sizing calculations weren't there?) may have been in error.

It would sound like little real reason to not pay unless there is some
indication of a gross oversizing. What was the previous unit this one
replaced?

BTW, I had a WaterFurnace brand geothermal unit in previous location
and like it very much...I think you will be pleased.

Oh, and the above just reminded me of one thing when we did ours--it
was sized on basis of heating capacity more than cooling so it had the
ability to essentially eliminate the strip heaters at all. Depending
on your climate, could a similar scenario have taken place here so you
do have some excess capacity?

Also, do you have a variable or multiple speed compressor perchance?
If so, could it be arranged to operate at lower end so could increase
the cycle time and increase dehumidification some if it is a comfort
issue? As for the mold, w/o a basement I wouldn't think it a major
problem at that level unless you're having this high a inside RH and
the outside conditions are not quite high humidity at the moment.

All this is of course subjective--I don't know where to point you to a
real definitive source on the web for judging whether is "good",
"acceptable", or "poor".

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

How is the air flow? I bet the fan blades are full of fiberglass
insulation.

"that guy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

that guy wrote:
[...]

I don't remember much about the AC from the days for following my
father around as a commercial AC mechanic, but if I remember right (and
I probably don't), it seems like a 3 ton AC unit is pretty big for a
house. Isn't a ton 12,000 BTU so a 3 ton system would be 36,000 BTU.

If you have too large of a system, it cools the air without moving
enough of it through the system. Say you have 1 system that cools your
house by cycling all of your air through the system every cycle. Say
another system provides the same cooling by moving only 1/4 of the air
through the system in a cycle. The second system provides the same
cooling but doesn't remove as much water.

I believe "short cycling" is what is described as scenario 2, above.
The system comes on for a short time, does the cooling it is supposed
to, and shuts off. It does it on a short on period and a long off
period.

So check with someone and see if the system is sized right. 3 tons
might be way too large, perfect, or way too small depending on the size
of your house, insulation, etc.

Another option is to move up here, outside Buffalo. Lows in the 40s
tonight and highs in the lower 70s tomorrow. What AC? ;-)) Up
here you just open the windows.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Pat wrote:
that guy wrote:
[...]

BTW, as I said, I am no AC expert. Hopefully smarter people than me
will have an answer for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You were probably told to stay under 50% by a dehumidifier salesman.

Sustained humidities over 70% are just asking for mold. Mold does not
spontaneously suck the moisture from the air and start, but what can
happen is with high indoor RH, you can get some condensation happening
on a surface and mold needs a physically wet food source to get
started.

Under 60% is fine for comfort usually, 65% sounds high. Perhaps your
system is oversized, or perhaps the 65% was measured when you had your
house pulled down to a low temperature.

Are you running the fan steady on that heat pump, it will re-evaporate
water from the coil when the compressor shuts off, and can result in
your indoor RH being upwards to 10% higher than the what auto fan can
accomplish.

A 14 dergee differential sounds like you have high air flow, and this
results in less dehumidification as well.

that guy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or maybe you are cycling on a llow pressure switch