Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tips for opening and then closing a hole in an apartment wall

I need to open a whole in my living room wall to pass some cables into
my bedroom. The diameter needs to be wide enough to fit a VGA monitor
cable.

Does anyone have any tips on how to open this and most importantly how
to close it without leaving marks in my rental-apartment wall?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alvarez,

Your landlord can advise you on acceptable methods to use on his
property. Knocking holes in his walls without his permission would be a big
mistake.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to open a whole in my living room wall to pass some cables into
my bedroom. The diameter needs to be wide enough to fit a VGA monitor
cable.

Does anyone have any tips on how to open this and most importantly how
to close it without leaving marks in my rental-apartment wall?

Drill a hold a bout 1/2" diameter, then enlarge it enough to fit the
connector through. Using a sharp rod or long enough drill, push it straight
through to mark the other side. Then enlarge that hole. Push a length of
stiff wire or metal hanger through both holes, tape the cable to it, then
pull through.

Patching will be fairly easy with some spackle. Do this in a corner just
above the baseboard to make it less visible.