Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Replace rotary sprinkler head

I need to replace Rainbird rotary sprinkler heads (R50). The sprinkler
guy said I can do it myself - just unscrew the old one and screw in the
new one.

Do I need to dig around it to the pipe to do it? If not, how can I
make sure when I remove the old one that dirt does not fall into the
hole?

Please, help me with any tips on how to do this.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take apart the replacement head by unscrewing the head off the top of
the can. Remove the old can that contacts the surrounding earth. May
take slight digging at the top to grasp the top lip of the can.

Turn on that station (resulting in a geyser of water). Take just the
new can (it's empty inside) and screw it down over the geyser of
water. You may get slightly wet but it beats digging. Turn off the
station.

There should be no dirt inside the can and the geyser purged out any
dirt that fell into the supply pipe. The can should be tall enough so
that no dirt can fall into it now from the surrounding dirt.

Now take the head and everything attached to it that was initially
removed. Insert it into the can and screw it back on. Turn on the
station again and re-aim the spray pattern unless it's a 360-degree
pattern. Done.