Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating pipes banging against joists

I have a hydronic heating system in my home. The pipes knock in the
walls when the boiler starts up. I've had 3 plumbers come verify that
the boiler is working properly (valves not flowing the wrong way,
enough space where the floorboard vent pipes come through). The house
was just built shoddily without enough space between the pipes and
joists. The knocking comes from a dozen places throughout the house,
and you can follow the noise via the route of the water. It literally
wakes the house up at night.

So I can rip apart the ceilings of each room and try and track each one
down. Blah.

The last plumber we had suggested that we try changing the boiler to a
new energy effiecient model that monitors the outside temperature and
would not go from zero to 180 degrees when turned on. Instead, it would
maintain a temperature throughout the system, only raising and lowering
when needed, which would vary about 1-2 degrees. This would reduce the
total expansion in the system, and thus reduce the knocking. I'm in
Vancouver, so the temperature fluctuations are pretty small, anyway.

Logically, this makes sense. Has anyone seen this in practice, or have
other opinions? And does ~12K for such a system sound about right?

mk

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system? Is the expansion tank
working properly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a hydronic heating system in my home. The pipes knock in the
walls when the boiler starts up. I've had 3 plumbers come verify that
the boiler is working properly (valves not flowing the wrong way,
enough space where the floorboard vent pipes come through). The house
was just built shoddily without enough space between the pipes and
joists. The knocking comes from a dozen places throughout the house,
and you can follow the noise via the route of the water. It literally
wakes the house up at night.

I have a couple of spots in my house that make a little noise when the hot
water flows. This is cause by expansion from the heated water. Do you have
some visible sections that you can easily get to? if so, put an expansion
loop in the long runs and you may get rid of most of the noise.

You need 4 elbows and a couple of short straight sections. Sucky ASCII are
follows

_____

Heating Cottage Crawlspace - Pipes Freezing [email protected] Home Repair 17 November 1st 17 03:44 AM
Insulated heating pipes? Jeff Mowatt UK diy 5 August 17th 06 10:26 PM
Banging Water Pipes? Joe Home Repair 6 November 21st 04 05:10 PM
Noisy new boiler when heating water only David Hearn UK diy 8 May 20th 04 07:44 PM
Central heating /hw system banging Tim UK diy 11 November 5th 03 05:06 PM