Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help...Dewalt chuck replacement

I need help replacing a Dewalt chuck. I followed the manual and opened
the chuck allowing me to unscrew the bolt inside the chuck. Next I
need to remove the chuck from the body of the drill but have been
unable to do so. When I try and loosen the chuck the internal gears
just spin around. What is the next step after removing the internal
screw? Thanks for the help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wildcatpete wrote:
I need help replacing a Dewalt chuck. I followed the manual and opened
the chuck allowing me to unscrew the bolt inside the chuck. Next I
need to remove the chuck from the body of the drill but have been
unable to do so. When I try and loosen the chuck the internal gears
just spin around. What is the next step after removing the internal
screw? Thanks for the help.

Don't know about DeWalt but most drills have a slot immediately behind
chuck that you can put a pin.nail or what ever in. which locks the
shaft so that you can unscrew the chuck. Note that some chucks are"
lefthanded '" threaded in removing. especially those which do not have"
reverse."
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wildcatpete" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need help replacing a Dewalt chuck. I followed the
manual and opened
the chuck allowing me to unscrew the bolt inside the
chuck. Next I
need to remove the chuck from the body of the drill but
have been
unable to do so. When I try and loosen the chuck the
internal gears
just spin around. What is the next step after removing
the internal
screw? Thanks for the help.

Chuck the short end of a 1/4 inch Allen wrench in the chuck.
Aim the chuck away from you. Turn the Allen wrench so the
long end is on the right side. Hit down on the wrench with a
hammer or piece of wood. The impact should loosen the chuck.
You may need to hit it a couple of times.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did have one that did not respond to smacking the handle of the
Allen wrench. I opened the jaws of the vise and put the drill in
reverse with the Allen wrench tightly in the chuck. I let the
wrench get a running start at the vise jaw and it spun the chuck
off easily.
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)