Posted to alt.home.repair
RJ RJ is offline

Default John Deere LT155 Engine Problem

John Deer lawn mower not getting enough fuel to carburator, starts only
after a long wait but dies when the fuel in filter is used up. What
would cause this? How is the fuel drawn into the filter? It appears
that fuel is gravity fed while the engine is off, thus if you wait
several hours the filter accumulates enough fuel to run the machine for
15 minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c... geServlet_Alt

I think your link is broken, can you repost?

--
zidarea u67804

You like web strategy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Works for me, but come to think of it I did get a log-on id for JD
parts. Anyhow they show a mechanical pump. I suspected that as the fuel
tanks are under the seat on Deere's ever since the first few caught
fire with under the hood tanks. There is no way that could gravity
feed and still be able to climb even gentle hills. I wish we could post
jpg here The pump kit is part # AM133627, but it might be jumping
to conclusions to say that is the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eric in North TX wrote:
Works for me, but come to think of it I did get a log-on id for JD
parts. Anyhow they show a mechanical pump. I suspected that as the fuel
tanks are under the seat on Deere's ever since the first few caught
fire with under the hood tanks. There is no way that could gravity
feed and still be able to climb even gentle hills. I wish we could post
jpg here The pump kit is part # AM133627, but it might be jumping
to conclusions to say that is the problem.

Could just be dirty filter...don't know this model off-hand, is it
sediment bowl or filter element?

Can check if pump is working by pulling line and seeing if get flow
when crank it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could just be dirty filter...don't know this model off-hand, is it
sediment bowl or filter element?

No bowl just an in-line filter # AM107314.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Eric in North TX wrote:
Could just be dirty filter...don't know this model off-hand, is it
sediment bowl or filter element?

No bowl just an in-line filter # AM107314.

I'm going w/ the filter is the problem then as first choice behind
Deere^h^h^h^hoor #1...

The simple diagnostic of hooking up bypassing it (or if it is
replaceable element removing element) and seeing if it runs then is
always good...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RJ RJ is offline

Eric in North TX wrote:
Could just be dirty filter...don't know this model off-hand, is it
sediment bowl or filter element?

No bowl just an in-line filter # AM107314.

Eric, I had replaced the cartridge filter thinking that was the problem
but obviously it wasn't. That's what got me thinking the pump is the
problem. Did JD place the pump in the tank? I traced the line back to
the tank and no pump. The tank is hidden under the seat and not
clearly visible.

Thanks for the reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had replaced the cartridge filter thinking that was the problem
but obviously it wasn't. That's what got me thinking the pump is the
problem. Did JD place the pump in the tank? I traced the line back to
the tank and no pump. The tank is hidden under the seat and not
clearly visible.

From what I can see on the drawing in the parts book; it is a

mechanical pump bolted to the engine. The pump has an arm that looks
just like a miniature version of the pumps that were on car and truck
engines before fuel injection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ if you'll email me I'll reply with a page from the parts book.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RJ wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:
Could just be dirty filter...don't know this model off-hand, is it
sediment bowl or filter element?

No bowl just an in-line filter # AM107314.

Eric, I had replaced the cartridge filter thinking that was the problem
but obviously it wasn't. That's what got me thinking the pump is the
problem. Did JD place the pump in the tank? I traced the line back to
the tank and no pump. The tank is hidden under the seat and not
clearly visible.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c... geServlet_Alt

Eric replied w/ offer to send a page, but you should be able to see it
at the above link yourself. (The JD site is IE-specific, however, at
least Firefox of the version I'm at doesn't like the applets.)

Just a couple more suggestions on diagnostics--

1. Have you made sure you have good flow through the supply lines _to_
the fuel filter and pump--not a problem of dirt or other obstruction
either in the tank or the hose itself (collapsed/kinked/etc.)? Also
make sure there isn't a problem in the line from the pump outlet to the
carb inlet.

2. Once you have a full stream there, pull the line into the carb and
crank the engine and should have good flow/pressure. If not, you've
verified pump, if so, then you have a problem in the carb that the
float may be sticking keeping the inlet needle valve closed or nearly
so.