Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage sill replacment

I have to replace a rotten sill on one side of my garage. It is a
rough cut 4x4 (actual dimensions). Should I try to find unmilled 4x4
timber or buy a 4x6 and rip it down so its 3 1/2 x4?

I havnt had any luck finding actual 4x4.

Thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to replace a rotten sill on one side of my garage. It is a
rough cut 4x4 (actual dimensions). Should I try to find unmilled 4x4
timber or buy a 4x6 and rip it down so its 3 1/2 x4?

I havnt had any luck finding actual 4x4.

Thoughts?

Why not use a 6 x 6 and rip that the size you need.
Go to a sawmill and have them cut one to size for you. Search for:

sawmill custom lumber

Add your state's abbreviation to the beginning of the search term.

Rich
http://www.overhead-garage-door.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rich wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to replace a rotten sill on one side of my garage. It is a
rough cut 4x4 (actual dimensions). ...

Why not use a 6 x 6 and rip that the size you need.
Go to a sawmill and have them cut one to size for you. Search for:

It'll be a _RARE_ sawmill even doing custom work that will agree to cut
one or two individual pieces--by "custom" any I've seen mean a specific
size/species/grade/etc., yes, but they'll be talking bundle-size
minimums in virtually any case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never had a problem having a mill cut custom planking or odd sized
blocks of wood for me, albeit sometimes I've had to wait a couple of days
before they were able to get to my "small" order.

Rich
http://www.overhead-garage-door.com

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rich wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have to replace a rotten sill on one side of my garage. It is a
rough cut 4x4 (actual dimensions). ...

Why not use a 6 x 6 and rip that the size you need.
Go to a sawmill and have them cut one to size for you. Search for:

It'll be a _RARE_ sawmill even doing custom work that will agree to cut
one or two individual pieces--by "custom" any I've seen mean a specific
size/species/grade/etc., yes, but they'll be talking bundle-size
minimums in virtually any case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rich wrote:
I've never had a problem having a mill cut custom planking or odd sized
blocks of wood for me, albeit sometimes I've had to wait a couple of days
before they were able to get to my "small" order.

I'd sure like to know where those mills are, Rich. I've tried various
ones where I was located in TN and VA and no dice was the general rule
for anything less than several hundred bd-ft minimums--essentially the
equivalent of a hardwood "bundle".

The closest I ever found was one old codger when we first were in
Lynchburg (VA) down towards Alta Vista who still puttered around his
one-man mill some for a few years, but when he could no longer run the
mill himself, it closed and that was the end. Later on in TN, there
simply were very few small mills around any longer and their production
was essentially all contract--mining timbers or ties or somesuch and
they simply wouldn't (as in couldn't afford to) change setups for less
than at least a full day's worth of sawyering.