Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reverse Osmosis not making water

I have a GE under counter RO system that I can't seem to get more than
a cup of water out of per day. (This is after a year of regular use
and regular filter changes). After taking the unit apart I found that
the water fills up in the first filter cup and goes into the membrane
but doesn't pass through to fill up the 2nd filter cup. I assumed my
membrane was clogged but I don't know how to tell. I've read postings
that say under the counter RO membranes should never clog.

I took the membrane out and tried it and of course the water went
right through. Before I spend $70 on a new membrane I'm trying to
determine if that is the problem. Do you know a way I could test the
membrane ? There does seem to be some rust buildup in it but nothing
major.

I also noticed that my little storage tank had very little air
pressure. Should I be putting it back up to the 100PSI that is shows
on the side of the tank ?

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a GE under counter RO system that I can't seem to get more than
a cup of water out of per day. (This is after a year of regular use
and regular filter changes). After taking the unit apart I found that
the water fills up in the first filter cup and goes into the membrane
but doesn't pass through to fill up the 2nd filter cup. I assumed my
membrane was clogged but I don't know how to tell. I've read postings
that say under the counter RO membranes should never clog.

RO membranes usually last about a year before clogging reduces efficiency.
Less time if no Water Softener in line before RO.

I took the membrane out and tried it and of course the water went
right through. Before I spend $70 on a new membrane I'm trying to
determine if that is the problem. Do you know a way I could test the
membrane ? There does seem to be some rust buildup in it but nothing
major.

I also noticed that my little storage tank had very little air
pressure. Should I be putting it back up to the 100PSI that is shows
on the side of the tank ?

100PSI refers to how much air or water pressure could safetly be in tank
before it ruptures, not working pressure. In use it would never be more
than your household water pressure and probably a little less than that.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just FYI, I've got a Sears system which has a pre- and post-RO filter
sediment catch. Those need replacing once a year or you see a drastic
drop-off in production. Sears repeatedly says the RO needs replacing
every 5 years, though.

We're coming up on the witching hour; yearly cycle on the particulate
filters plus 5 years on the RO. Gonna be an expensive year on the water
filter for us

-Mark

In article dmMFg.975$E_.733@trnddc06,
"Tom G" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks, It looks like I'll give the new membrane a shot and see what
happens.

Tom G wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is your household water pressure adequate? There is a minimum pressure
requirement for the RO to reach it's rated production rate. Check the
manual and your water pressure.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
wrote:

Thanks, It looks like I'll give the new membrane a shot and see what
happens.

Tom G wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

the technician who replaced my membrane after 7 years (not Sears) told
me that the tank should be pressurized to at least 7 psi, not more than
10 psi. Back pressure on the membrane slows production of water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Gammon wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
wrote:

Thanks, It looks like I'll give the new membrane a shot and see what
happens.

Tom G wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Right, that's the product tank. I know the RO unit I installed a while
back at a previous location had a lot of warnings about it not working
with low water supply pressures and the possible need for a booster
pump. It apparently takes a fair amount of pressure to get water through
the membrane. If the OP's water pressure was near the threshold to begin
with and has dropped for some reason they might not have noticed the
change, but it could be below the requirement for the RO.

Pete C.