Posted to alt.home.repair

Default satellite tv installation

I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Aug 2006 20:29:41 -0700, "johnrf2"
wrote:

I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

It all depends...

The boxes typically contain the IR Receivers to change the channels
(though some have external inputs).

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

It all depends...

The boxes typically contain the IR Receivers to change the channels
(though some have external inputs).

Beachcomber

There are plenty of systems to receive and relay those IR signals to
equipment located in other rooms. It's entirely possible to locate
receivers, DVRs, DVDs, etc. in a central media room. It's also often a
better environment for the equipment since it can get better cooling,
dust control, power conditioning, etc.

There are numerous home automation and home theater web sites with
plenty of information and products.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you've got to determine whether the remote talks to the receiver
optically (infrared) or by radio. Obviously, infrared doesn't go
through walls. Radio does but there may be distance/obstruction
limitations and you won't know if it will work until you try it.

HD wiring from the receiver to the TV set can be a big problem over long
distances.

johnrf2 wrote:
I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

There are ways to do this (and the receivers will work fine). The
equipment necessary to distribute a HD signal will be expensive. Also,
you'll need a way to get the remote controls to work. That'll cost
more money too.

That may still be practical for SD, but is it for HD?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:19:56 GMT, Bennett Price
wrote:

I think you've got to determine whether the remote talks to the receiver
optically (infrared) or by radio. Obviously, infrared doesn't go
through walls.

There are those IR/RF/IR "pyramids" that are supposed to solve that
problem. I have found these highly unreliable, getting worse quickly
the more complex your system becomes. I've seem some universal remotes
with RF capability. These may work but are costly.

Radio does but there may be distance/obstruction
limitations and you won't know if it will work until you try it.

True.

HD wiring from the receiver to the TV set can be a big problem over long
distances.

I have seen a device advertised that uses CAT5 for this purpose, but
it's about $300 per destination.

johnrf2 wrote:
I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

For secndary locations like bedroom SD TVs its fine if your willing to
use coax feed, less quality.

for primary HD tv your much better off having it with the TV, for ease
of cabling. there are limits to all connections.

ONE THING FOR ABSOLUTE CERTAIN GO ALL DVR. digital video recording, one
is TIVO.

you record whart you want and watch it skipping thru commercials at
YOUR time

you going with Dish or Direct TV?

I used to be a dish dealer satellite tv is awesome, if you want drop me
a e mail

Most diush receiver have UHF remotes for ease of what your planning