Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default satellite tv installation

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:19:56 GMT, Bennett Price
wrote:

I think you've got to determine whether the remote talks to the receiver
optically (infrared) or by radio. Obviously, infrared doesn't go
through walls.

There are those IR/RF/IR "pyramids" that are supposed to solve that
problem. I have found these highly unreliable, getting worse quickly
the more complex your system becomes. I've seem some universal remotes
with RF capability. These may work but are costly.

Radio does but there may be distance/obstruction
limitations and you won't know if it will work until you try it.

True.

HD wiring from the receiver to the TV set can be a big problem over long
distances.

I have seen a device advertised that uses CAT5 for this purpose, but
it's about $300 per destination.

johnrf2 wrote:
I am having a new house built and my question is this: if I install an
HD satellite TV system, can I put all of the receivers in the basement
and wire the outputs to the TVs throughout the house. I would not like
to have the receiver boxes (or rather, my wife doesn't) in the rooms
with the TVs because they are too big and ugly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com