Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default Energy Efficient Pool Pump

what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links, for example,
this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

1 1/2 H.P. Motor $119 Heavy Duty $139 Energy Efficient $169

as you can see, the energy efficient model is $50 more than the regular model

I also looked at this page
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pool_pumps.htm

where it appears they have a "Capacitor Start", meaning (?) it reduces the LRA or
power surge at startup?

if anyone has replaced a standard Sta-Rite inground pump with one of these, please
tell, what did you find and was there a difference in power consumption and did all
your filters & pool cleaners continue to run normal?

there appears to be also incentive programs for installing a two-speed pool pump?
anyone done this? how did the program work?
can you purchase a qualifying pump over the web and install it yourself and still
qualify?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links,
for example, this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

[...]

A contradiction.

Somebody who owns a pool cannot, by definition, be energy efficiency
devotee. It would be similar, in concept, to an SUV owner who refused to run
the car's A/C or insisting on a diet drink at the donut shop.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Jack wrote:

what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links,
for example, this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

[...]

A contradiction.

Somebody who owns a pool cannot, by definition, be energy efficiency
devotee. It would be similar, in concept, to an SUV owner who refused to run
the car's A/C or insisting on a diet drink at the donut shop.

Hee, hee. That's funny.

What about solar collector for heating the pool, and pv to dc
circulating pump?

Would that fix the contradiction?

--
www.synapticsparks.info

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Jack wrote:
what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links,
for example, this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

[...]

A contradiction.

Somebody who owns a pool cannot, by definition, be energy efficiency
devotee. It would be similar, in concept, to an SUV owner who refused to run
the car's A/C or insisting on a diet drink at the donut shop.

Hey Bub, you're a twit. The house we bought already had a pool even
though we didn't want it. Taking it out would lower the property
value. FWIW, I ran the pool pump two weeks ago for a few hours, but I
use a 75 watt pool robot most of the time. This email is being sent
from a solar powered computer, so stuff it.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Harry Chickpea wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

Jack wrote:
what exactly is an energy efficient pool pump? browsing google links,
for example, this is a sample list of pricing for a pump:

[...]

A contradiction.

Somebody who owns a pool cannot, by definition, be energy efficiency
devotee. It would be similar, in concept, to an SUV owner who refused to run
the car's A/C or insisting on a diet drink at the donut shop.

Hey Bub, you're a twit. The house we bought already had a pool even
though we didn't want it. Taking it out would lower the property
value. FWIW, I ran the pool pump two weeks ago for a few hours, but I
use a 75 watt pool robot most of the time. This email is being sent
from a solar powered computer, so stuff it.

ok, back to the original question. I finally got fed up with my pool
pump causing about a huge increase in summer electric bills and got a
two speed pump. My original one was 1-1/2 hp. but I think much of that
power was wasted due to turbulent flow in the 1-1/2 piping they used
throughout.
I purchased a quiet two speed pump, Pentair Whisper-flow
http://www.poolplaza.com/P-PUR-10-418-P.html

and replaced all the piping I had access to with 2", removed the heater
that was rotted out anyway, and cleaned up the runs. Anyway, the pump
is wonderful. On low speed, I still get plenty of flow for water
circulation/filtration and you can't hear it. The old one was so noisy
we usually turned it off when we were in the pool. I run it 12h/day to
get the desired turnover rate and my electric usage has dropped
substantially. Before I ran 4 hours a day and that wasn't enough and it
used much more energy.

As for pool cleaners, I long ago rid myself of the polaris that runs
off the pool pump and got a Tiger Shark, self powered unit. Works much
better and doesn't rely on the pool pump.

That's it for now. I have to get back to drinking my diet coke and
eating my steak....

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Astro wrote:
I purchased a quiet two speed pump, Pentair Whisper-flow

do you now run it only on 2nd low speed and do you have to hit a manual switch or can
it be programmed to select 1 or 2?

what's the amp/watts at low speed?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Hey gfretwell,

Pool pumps are NOT water cooled.

Since they do not produce much heat, your statment "... a lot of heat energy
gets transferred to the water is also bogus. Stick to what you know.

wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:37:28 +0300, "Jack" wrote:

[...]

They are usually just a pump with a better power factor. You don't
think about it since they tend to be water cooled but a lot of heat
energy gets transferred to the water.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

The original replier had it right. You don't have a clue as to what is being
discussed.

Dave

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:37:03 -0400, "Craven Morehead"
wrote:

Hey gfretwell,

Pool pumps are NOT water cooled.

Since they do not produce much heat, your statment "... a lot of heat
energy
gets transferred to the water is also bogus. Stick to what you know.

Where do you figure all those watts (AKA heat) go if it isn't into the
water?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Jack wrote:
Astro wrote:
I purchased a quiet two speed pump, Pentair Whisper-flow

do you now run it only on 2nd low speed and do you have to hit a manual switch or can
it be programmed to select 1 or 2?

what's the amp/watts at low speed?

On slow speed, it's adding 300w to my home base load. I didn't take the
time to meter it for amps, power factor or anything else. On high
speed, it's 1600w. Wattage measurements made with a TED device, which
very closely matches my home electric meter readings.

As noted, the piping on my pool is undersized so the head pressure is
quite high. That would help the low speed condition even more as the
turbulence should be much lower on low setting.

I run it low speed 12h/day. The only time I switch to high now is to
backwash and it's keeping my 28000gallon pool crystal clear. Much
better than when I ran the original pump full out for 6 hours/day.
The manufacturer rates it as: 7.8A/3.0A (230v) at full load. so VA
would be 1800w/690w so this it telling me based on the specs that my
suspicion is pretty much correct - the pump is nearly fully loaded at
high speed and has a low load at low speed. I'm figuring that my old
pump was using something like 2kw * 4 = 8kwh vs. the new one at .3kw *
12 = 4kwh per day. It may have been worse. Based on the flow curves,
I'm guessing that I'm getting something like 20gpm at slow speed and
50gpm at high. So for .19x the watts, I get .4x the flow.

To be conservative, I'm saving about $0.60/day using the new pump
longer and getting significantly better filtration. Will it pay off?
That comes out to be something like a 9 year simple payoff, so it's not
huge. But I haven't experimented yet to see the minimum number of hours
I can run and get adequate filtration.

As for the two speed switch - it just has a toggle on the back.
However, you could wire it up to use a relay/timer to switch between
modes.