Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

Default fire protection

Hi,

I have some walls made from gypsum board which I need to replace with
30 minute fire resistant boards.

I'm not a DIYer so have no idea about these things, I'm just doing what
the council wants, but I'd really like to leave the walls as they are.
Does anyone know how to get round this? Can I cover the walls with some
kind of fire protection?

Thanks,

Ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:

Hi,

I have some walls made from gypsum board which I need to replace with
30 minute fire resistant boards.

I'm not a DIYer so have no idea about these things, I'm just doing what
the council wants, but I'd really like to leave the walls as they are.
Does anyone know how to get round this? Can I cover the walls with some
kind of fire protection?

Thanks,

Ed.

Assuming you can live with the additional 5/8" of wall thickness, you
can just install a new layer of 5/8" type X firecode sheetrock on top of
the existing layer of presumably 1/2" non firecode sheetrock. There is
no particular reason to remove the existing drywall. Extension rings for
the electrical boxes are well under $1.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:03:48 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ed wrote:

Hi,

I have some walls made from gypsum board which I need to replace with
30 minute fire resistant boards.

I'm not a DIYer so have no idea about these things, I'm just doing what
the council wants, but I'd really like to leave the walls as they are.
Does anyone know how to get round this? Can I cover the walls with some
kind of fire protection?

Thanks,

Ed.

Assuming you can live with the additional 5/8" of wall thickness, you
can just install a new layer of 5/8" type X firecode sheetrock on top of
the existing layer of presumably 1/2" non firecode sheetrock. There is
no particular reason to remove the existing drywall. Extension rings for
the electrical boxes are well under $1.

Pete C.

Good advice, just wanted to add that 1/2 rating might not require 5/8"
rock, this site says type X 1/2 will give no less than 3/4 hour
rating.

http://www.urlbee.com?8014

later,

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's really best to do as they say. In the past people have died as a result
of fires and the codes are there to try to keep these things from happening
again.

Also if you don't bring the wall up to code and there is a fire which
spreads due to this and it is discovered you did not install the required
fire protection, then all sorts of nasty things can happen. (Legal
liability, insurance not paying for damage, lawsuits, etc.)

"Ed" wrote in message
Hi,

I have some walls made from gypsum board which I need to replace with
30 minute fire resistant boards.

I'm not a DIYer so have no idea about these things, I'm just doing what
the council wants, but I'd really like to leave the walls as they are.
Does anyone know how to get round this? Can I cover the walls with some
kind of fire protection?

Thanks,

Ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed wrote:
Hi,

I have some walls made from gypsum board which I need to replace with
30 minute fire resistant boards.

I'm not a DIYer so have no idea about these things, I'm just doing
what the council wants, but I'd really like to leave the walls as
they are. Does anyone know how to get round this? Can I cover the
walls with some kind of fire protection?

Gypsum board is inherently fire-resistant. Did the council actually SAY the
wallboards needed to be replaced? Or did they say you need 1/2 hour
protection? If the latter, you may need only to augment what you have. If
the former, you may already be in compliance.

A bit more info, please. What exactly do you have in place (how thick is
your gypsum wall)?