Posted to alt.home.repair

Default central air leak?

I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4" pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the pipe
ends.

The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.

Is this normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Mook Johnson wrote:
I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4" pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the pipe
ends.

The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.

Is this normal?

PVC is often used to drain the condensate pan, and some cool air will
exit it if there is no trap in the line. Could this be what you felt???
More info needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Mook Johnson wrote:
I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4" pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the pipe ends.
The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.
Is this normal?

It is, if the pipes are intended to supply combustion air to the
furnace rather than draw air from within the house.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most likely condensate lines for the evaporator. My off the cuff
advice is to put a plastic bag over the top of each of them (sandwich
bag) and then a couple rubber bands over each bag.

Probably not a serious issue eithr way, but you'll feel better about
it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message
I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4"
pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into
the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the
pipe
ends.

The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.

Is this normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Aug 2006 19:18:44 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

Mook Johnson wrote:
I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4" pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the pipe ends.
The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.
Is this normal?

It is, if the pipes are intended to supply combustion air to the
furnace rather than draw air from within the house.

Joe

Wouldn't combustion air, and exhaust be extended past the attic?

Sound like drain lines, maybe the OP can tell us the size, and if they
run down.

later,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I looked again and one is coming from the furnace and only elbows up. The
other goes from the furnace elbows up and has am insulator. wrapped around
it and goes down over the nearby bathroom.

You guys are probably right about consensation line but I wanted to make
sure.

news

.

"Mook Johnson" wrote in message
I was in the attic near my furnace this weekendand there were two 3/4"
pcv
pipes that came up next to the furnace that were blowing cold air into
the
attic. It was coming out strong enough to feel it a foot above the
pipe
ends.

The house was built in 2003 in Houston TX.

Is this normal?

Freon Leak in Central A/C Ross Payne Home Repair 7 May 12th 06 01:28 PM
Leak Ender 2000 Mikey Home Repair 15 January 20th 06 03:29 AM
Roof sheathing still moist after leak supposedly fixed jaynews Home Repair 5 December 1st 05 03:05 AM
Window Leak Troubleshoot BARRY MARTIN Home Repair 0 October 22nd 05 02:12 PM
central heating leak...IS IT THE BOILER? mark al UK diy 2 December 6th 03 10:15 PM