Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clogged tub drain

There are two tub/showers in the house and I never used one of them
(call it tub B, which is on the 2nd floor) until the other wasn't usable
for a couple of weeks. So, I use tub B and discover that it's clogged.

1. 3 Draino treatments don't help.

2. Snaking doesn't help.

3. Trying to blast the obstruction out with pressure from a hose just
backs water up the vent pipe.

4. I try a tougher snake - it's made from a stiff wire and has a
business end, and you can shove it hard against the obstruction. I
insert it into the vent pipe directly from above. This gets me nowhere.

What I don't understand is this: The blockage (which feels solid)
appears to be about 3 feet ABOVE where the tub drain joins the vent pipe
on its way to the ground where it meets the sewer piping. What's going
on here? Thanks for any ideas.