Posted to alt.home.repair

Default clogged drains

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. Recently my bathroom tub and sink, and toilet
started draining very slow. Whenever the toilet is flushed, I can hear
gurgling sounds coming out of the sink and tub. At one point, after
flushing, water started coming out of the tub, it didn't look pretty
:-/

Would very much appreciate any ideas on how I can solve this problem,
other than calling a plumber (too expensive for me).

thank you,
bunny with wings

Posted to alt.home.repair

use a toilet plunger first. avoid chemicals if it's not too late. if
the same slow drainage thing happens an undisturbed hour later when
flushing, it sounds like a blockage in the drain directly beneath the
toilet. if it happens after a flush/refill/flush again it is that much
farther along the pipe. you will need a closet auget to snake the
toilet bowl, but to snake past the toilet bowl the toilet is then
removed from the floor flange. before you take the house apart, look in
the basement or at the lowest altitude drain perhaps a floor drain or
laundry tub for activity. when the main is plugged the toilet might
flush into a lower altitude opening in the system.
see toilet troubleshooting at:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/usa.html
see vent system illustrations at:
http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/Bl...p?iNum=fra0309
lots of help on the internet.

wrote:
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. Recently my bathroom tub and sink, and toilet
started draining very slow. Whenever the toilet is flushed, I can hear
gurgling sounds coming out of the sink and tub. At one point, after
flushing, water started coming out of the tub, it didn't look pretty
:-/

Would very much appreciate any ideas on how I can solve this problem,
other than calling a plumber (too expensive for me).

thank you,
bunny with wings

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. Recently my bathroom tub and sink, and toilet
started draining very slow. Whenever the toilet is flushed, I can hear
gurgling sounds coming out of the sink and tub. At one point, after
flushing, water started coming out of the tub, it didn't look pretty
:-/

Would very much appreciate any ideas on how I can solve this problem,
other than calling a plumber (too expensive for me).

Since the blockage is common to the sink, tub, and toilet, I would remove
the p-trap under the sink and snake the drain from there. It is easier than
removing the toilet. If that doesn't work, removing the toilet would allow
you to use a stiffer snake. Chemical drain cleaner may work if you are lucky
and have the patience.

Does any drain elsewhere in the house causes water to come out of this tub?
If not, then the main drain is not clogged -- that's good.