Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Air Admittance Valves in the U.S.?

I know that AAV's (vent valves) are common in Europe, but are they in common
use and accepted by inspectors in the U.S.?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

John E. wrote:
I know that AAV's (vent valves) are common in Europe, but are they in
common use and accepted by inspectors in the U.S.?

Thanks,

We call them vacuum breaker valves. I don't know all the rules and you
may find that they may be different in one area from another. I believe
that generally you will find that it is considered good practice to avoid
them by using a vent stack.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

They are approved for use by section P3114 in the IRC. Can be used for all
venting except that a single vent stack or stack vent is required in the
system to relieve positive pressures. That being said, there are several
states where the plumbing unions is strong enough to have them banned (cuts
into a plumbers profits don't ya know.) So it's really up to the locals as
to whether that are permitted or not. (There's nothing wrong with the actual
product, been used for many, many years here in the US without problems,
just a profit issue with plumbers is all.)

"John E." wrote in message
news.net...
I know that AAV's (vent valves) are common in Europe, but are they in
common
use and accepted by inspectors in the U.S.?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Excuse me?

The unions have nothing to do with code restictions. They may limit the
materials that they will allow their members to install (back in the 70's,
even though NoHub cast iron was code approved, the local here would only
allow the plumbers to install service weight), but, generally, they have no
control over codes.

Also, your comments "cuts into a plumbers profits don't ya know" and "just a
profit issue with plumbers is all', are rediculous statements. You're mixing
up the union (employees) with the contractors (employers).

Contractors must use whatever code approved materials and methods are
available to them in order to REDUCE the cost of jobs so that they will be
competetive. Even with today's building boom, the profits are less than they
were because the "burden" (insurance, overhead, gas prices, etc) are out of
control and whatever "profit" is left over at the end of a job gets eaten up
by the overhead.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Plan Review Section wrote:
That being
said, there are several states where the plumbing unions is strong
enough to have them banned (cuts into a plumbers profits don't ya
know.)

I have seen them fail. I am sure that their failure rate is higher than
conventional stack venting. As someone suggested the mineral content of the
water supply in some areas could cause a higher failure rate and those are
the areas more likely to have banned them. Like most regulations, the
reason for the regulation may not be obvious and people tend to ignore them
when they don't see the reason. That is really dumb thing to do and to
assume that there is not a good reason for a regulation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

... accepted by inspectors in the U.S.?

Yes

Studor Mini vent

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...d=6103&Cat=232

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

What does the mineral content of the water have to do with a AAV? It's
sewage/venting we're talking about here.

I have seen them fail. I am sure that their failure rate is higher than
conventional stack venting. As someone suggested the mineral content of
the water supply in some areas could cause a higher failure rate and those
are the areas more likely to have banned them. Like most regulations, the
reason for the regulation may not be obvious and people tend to ignore them
when they don't see the reason. That is really dumb thing to do and to
assume that there is not a good reason for a regulation.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
What does the mineral content of the water have to do with a AAV? It's
sewage/venting we're talking about here.

Likely not much most of the time.

I have seen them fail. I am sure that their failure rate is higher
than conventional stack venting. As someone suggested the mineral
content of the water supply in some areas could cause a higher
failure rate and those are the areas more likely to have banned
them. Like most regulations, the reason for the regulation may not
be obvious and people tend to ignore them when they don't see the
reason. That is really dumb thing to do and to assume that there is
not a good reason for a regulation. --
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Plan Review Section wrote:
That being
said, there are several states where the plumbing unions is strong
enough to have them banned (cuts into a plumbers profits don't ya
know.)

I have seen them fail. I am sure that their failure rate is higher than
conventional stack venting. As someone suggested the mineral content of the
water supply in some areas could cause a higher failure rate and those are
the areas more likely to have banned them. Like most regulations, the
reason for the regulation may not be obvious and people tend to ignore them
when they don't see the reason. That is really dumb thing to do and to
assume that there is not a good reason for a regulation.

An even dumber thing to do is to assume that every regulation has good
intentions behind it.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

All depends on how far above the trap the AAV is installed.

In some locations, the installer may have gotten lazy and put it too
close(ie 4 inches or less). Repeated splashing of water against the
valve leaves mineral deposits which then cause the valve to stop operating.

In new construction, take the valve up to the next floor before
installing the AAV, and we avoid the problem. 4-6 feet of air column
under the AAV and there will be NO moisture driven up to it.