Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American standard toilet repair kit #4 and $6 style, any differences?

Hi there, thanks for reading this thread.

I have a really old American Standard brand toilet, which is a
one-piece (made in 1935??) and you could see some photos of this toilet
at http://www.picturetrail.com/toilet2006/

This toilet has been leaking for a while (slow leak to the bowl), and
I'm suspecting that it is either the flush valve (the surface of the
disc and the brass valve) is not fully sealed, or it might be the three
tiny cone-shaped washer (something like this:
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/4244851#Specifications) that is just
too old and corrupted so the water simply sip through the washer area
(or the valve area). However, in our local plumbing supply store I
could only find American Standard #6 style of flush valve repair kit
(see
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...lve_47049.jpg),
instead of the #4 style (see
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...lve_47086.jpg), I
wonder if these two style of repair kit are interchanable?? The
diameter of the valve base of these two different styles seems to be
the same. Any comments? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

T. T. wrote:
[...]

Ah, yes, the old Am Std "rocking boat" valve. Used thru the 60's,
I would guess.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/4244851#Specifications
is a faucet washer "top hat". Does not apply.

I would be very hesitant about replacing the entire
valve seat assy on that toilet.
Some info here (may or may not help):
http://www.toiletology.com/howtofix-2.shtml

Do an experiment first. Remove the rubber disc and
"glue" (silicone sealant) it to the brass seat.
After it sets, fill tank and add food coloring or dye.
Watch for any sign of color in the bowl after
several hours. If there *is* leakage, then you
can attack the valve seat assy.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jim, that was a wonderful tip!

By the way, if it is NOT the seal of the flush valve (the rubber part)
or the washer that was leaking, where else could it be leaking? I've
looked at the toilet almost inside-out (too bad it's a one-piece toilet
so I couldn't disassemble it apart), but the only place that I could
identify that maybe it is leaking is the flush valve area (and the
three mysterious rubber washer thingy....

any idea? Thanks!

Speedy Jim wrote:
T. T. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

T. T. wrote:

Thanks Jim, that was a wonderful tip!

By the way, if it is NOT the seal of the flush valve (the rubber part)
or the washer that was leaking, where else could it be leaking? I've
looked at the toilet almost inside-out (too bad it's a one-piece toilet
so I couldn't disassemble it apart), but the only place that I could
identify that maybe it is leaking is the flush valve area (and the
three mysterious rubber washer thingy....

any idea? Thanks!

Yes, I agree with all that. If it does turn out to be
leaking around the valve or the 3 seals, maybe caulk those areas.
Use a hair dryer to thoroughly dry all the metal/china parts first.
Jim

Speedy Jim wrote:

T. T. wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just want to report back to the forum for people who search this topic
in the future. Yes the style #4 and style #6 are interchangable (given
if you replace the whole set), and I finally got it all fixed. NOt too
bad as a DIY project as a local plumber quote me $400 for repair!!

thanks to all of you who provided your advice, I really appreciate that