Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squeaky air conditioner

We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and
it speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Thanks.

BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and it
speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably not
with the expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and
it speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably
not with the expense.

Atlanta area Sam's Clubs selling GE 5150 (approx) BTU window unit ACs for
$83...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and it
speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably not
with the expense.

Damn! Unit is not that old. Thanks, though!