DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Squeaky air conditioner (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/170641-squeaky-air-conditioner.html)

BCDrums July 28th 06 03:20 PM

Squeaky air conditioner

We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and
it speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Thanks.

BC

Edwin Pawlowski July 28th 06 04:19 PM

Squeaky air conditioner

"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and it
speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably not
with the expense.

Felony Bob July 28th 06 04:22 PM

Squeaky air conditioner

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and
it speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably
not with the expense.

Atlanta area Sam's Clubs selling GE 5150 (approx) BTU window unit ACs for
$83...

BCDrums July 28th 06 07:21 PM

Squeaky air conditioner

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"BCDrums" wrote in message
. ..
We have a small Amana AC in the window, and it has begun to squeak. The
squeak reminds me of a bad belt in the car; it is not too fast, and it
comes and goes. It squeaks whether or not the condenser is running, and it
speeds up/slows down with the fan.

Can anyone diagnose?

Fan motor is on the way out. You can check the price at
www.repairclinic.com but it may be just as cheap to buy a new unit. Some
can be lubricated, most cannot. If you can buy the motor cheap and do the
work yourself, go for it. If you must pay to have it serviced, probably not
with the expense.

Damn! Unit is not that old. Thanks, though!