Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NEC re-wire help!

Hello- I wish to convert my 220v circuits to 110v as I have brought
natural gas into the home leaving free dedicated circuits from the old
elec. dryer, range and water heater.

I intend to switch out the breaker to a single pole 20 amp attach the
black wire to the new breaker and the second hot (red) I will lable
white and attach to the rail. The new 110 outlet I would rewire
normally. Is this procedure up to NEC snuff?

What if I needed a longer line and spliced (inside a junction box) to a
smaller gage wire such at 12/2 romex?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dano wrote:
Hello- I wish to convert my 220v circuits to 110v as I have brought
natural gas into the home leaving free dedicated circuits from the old
elec. dryer, range and water heater.

I intend to switch out the breaker to a single pole 20 amp attach the
black wire to the new breaker and the second hot (red) I will lable
white and attach to the rail. The new 110 outlet I would rewire
normally. Is this procedure up to NEC snuff?

What if I needed a longer line and spliced (inside a junction box) to a
smaller gage wire such at 12/2 romex?

Thanks.

Andy writes:

I would NOT attach the red wire to anything. Just label it, cap of
off, and
leave it pendant. You might want to use it at a later time.....
A wire left pendant makes it obvious it is not being used. If it is
attached, the next
guy to look in the box won't know what the hell you did with it....
You might put a tag on it saying something like "Unused, formerly to
dryer in
laundry room", just to make it easy for everyone....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Dano" wrote:
Hello- I wish to convert my 220v circuits to 110v as I have brought
natural gas into the home leaving free dedicated circuits from the old
elec. dryer, range and water heater.

I intend to switch out the breaker to a single pole 20 amp attach the
black wire to the new breaker and the second hot (red) I will lable
white and attach to the rail. The new 110 outlet I would rewire
normally. Is this procedure up to NEC snuff?

No.

The NEC specifically requires that neutral conductors 6-gauge and smaller be
white or gray end-to-end. It's absolutely a Code violation to re-label a red
wire as a neutral, unless it's larger than 6-gauge.
[NEC 2005, Article 200.6(A)]

What if I needed a longer line and spliced (inside a junction box) to a
smaller gage wire such at 12/2 romex?

Same issue.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...

The NEC specifically requires that neutral conductors 6-gauge and smaller
be
white or gray end-to-end. It's absolutely a Code violation to re-label a
red
wire as a neutral, unless it's larger than 6-gauge.
[NEC 2005, Article 200.6(A)]

Why does it only apply if the conductor is 6-gauge and smaller. Do you mean
smaller gauge (larger wire), or smaller wire (larger gauge)?? This gauge
unit seems to be defined backwards (and is #1 gauge the largest wire
possible?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
The NEC specifically requires that neutral conductors 6-gauge and smaller
be
white or gray end-to-end. It's absolutely a Code violation to re-label a
red
wire as a neutral, unless it's larger than 6-gauge.
[NEC 2005, Article 200.6(A)]

Why does it only apply if the conductor is 6-gauge and smaller. Do you mean
smaller gauge (larger wire), or smaller wire (larger gauge)?? This gauge
unit seems to be defined backwards (and is #1 gauge the largest wire
possible?)

The reason for requiring continuous marking up to six gage is that
larger conductors are not readily available with continuous jacket color
coding.

Wires larger than #6 American Wire Gage are only required to be marked
at the terminations and other accessible points.

When the gage was devised it was believed that #1 was the largest gage
possible. Then gage 0; said as ought; was added, followed by 2/0, 3/0
and 4/0 (four ought) until they finally gave in to the inevitable and
began using circular mills to size wires larger than 4/0.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

#0 would be larger. For even larger, they use multiple zeros, 00, 000,
0000. Larger than that, I think they use the actual wire measurement.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bet there is a white wire in there

I will take another look, but when I stripped the outlet end there was
only a black, red and ground. 10 gage I believe.

iron wire WIND Metalworking 0 April 19th 06 09:56 AM
Technique: wire preparation for a terminal block Zak Electronics Repair 12 March 21st 06 09:47 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM