Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing bath tub drain??

The wife wants me to replace the old pop up drain in the bathtub in the kids
bath that looks like hell from years of my son pouring Liquid Plumber into
the tub when stopped up. It however drains well and does not leak. The
problem is that the built in strainer has rotted out and there is only a
single nub left that sticks out about 1/8 inch - not much to grab onto.

Sure I could hack it out but I don't want to damage the tub around the drain
opening or damage the plastic plumbing because if I do I will have to cut a
hole in the kitchen ceiling to access the plumbing. Then If I do that I will
have to also repaint the whole kitchen/breakfast area ceiling after
repairing the drywall.

I do have a Makita 9.6 V compact cordless reciprocating saw with a short
metal cutting blade that I am thinking of using to try slowly and gently
cut the drain in two spots on the inside to then try and remove it though I
might also cut into the drain pipe slightly [the threaded area] and am not
sure if that will be a problem or not. Does that sound like a god way to go
or does anyone have any other ideas other then leaving it be as is? Thanks

Steve

bath tub drain rosebud Home Repair 9 April 21st 06 05:34 PM
bath tub drain rosebud Home Repair 4 April 20th 06 04:27 PM
Removing sink drain from cast iron stack Dave Home Repair 1 January 17th 05 08:56 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Bath Sink Drain (50 yrs old) Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 February 24th 04 12:28 AM