Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

Default bath tub drain

I just moved into a new place. The water backs up after a bit when
showering. I hate standing in dirty water. I gave it 4 doses of lye over
3 days. It's a tiny bit better but it still backs up. Is this something
a plumber can fix easily?
Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter

"rosebud" wrote in message
I just moved into a new place. The water backs up after a bit when
showering. I hate standing in dirty water. I gave it 4 doses of lye over 3
days. It's a tiny bit better but it still backs up. Is this something a
plumber can fix easily?
Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie

Does the basin also back up? How about the kitchen sink?
What about the toilet?
If they all back up and don't empty freely it's time to call the plumber and
get him to put his eeel down the drains.
Do you have trees on the property? Maybe their roots have gotten into the
drains!

Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

Peter wrote:
"rosebud" wrote in message
I just moved into a new place. The water backs up after a bit when
showering. I hate standing in dirty water. I gave it 4 doses of lye over 3
days. It's a tiny bit better but it still backs up. Is this something a
plumber can fix easily?
Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie

Does the basin also back up? How about the kitchen sink?
What about the toilet?
If they all back up and don't empty freely it's time to call the plumber and
get him to put his eeel down the drains.
Do you have trees on the property? Maybe their roots have gotten into the
drains!

The tub is the only one that is slow. I have removed the hair at the top
of the drain. I did that first. It runs freely for about 10 seconds and
then starts to back up. This leads me to believe the blockage is farther
out. I do have a fairly thin snake, for sinks. But I can't get it to
make the first turn out of the tub. No trees, only shrubbs.

Bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try using a snake. If for some reason you can't use a snake (often I
can't because of too many turns in s ahort area) I use this stuff I
goet at Home Depot. It somes in a red bottle and says it works in 10
minutes. It doesn't work in 10 minutes, I pour in a lot, and leave it
in overnight, then it works perfectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

The tub is the only one that is slow. I have removed the hair at the top
of the drain. I did that first. It runs freely for about 10 seconds and
then starts to back up. This leads me to believe the blockage is farther
out. I do have a fairly thin snake, for sinks. But I can't get it to
make the first turn out of the tub. No trees, only shrubbs.

Bonnie

The usual solution for a clog near the tub is to plug
the overflow with the plunger, and wet-vac the drain.

If you can't snake down the drain, sometimes
you can snake down the overflow. (assuming it's connected)
Failing that, there should be a drain-plug in the bottom
of the P-Trap, which, being under the tub, may be
accessible only to someone with a chainsaw. But if
you can pull that plug, you should be able to snake at
least to the next bend.

--Goedjn

Bath tub drain slow sue Home Repair 11 April 1st 05 05:50 AM
Wierd Shower drain problem JJ Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 03:31 PM
Shower Drain repair question JJ Home Repair 2 September 1st 04 09:49 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM