Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding light to cealing fan?

I have a porch fan that does not have a light. I would like to put a light
on the porch using a separate switch and run it through the existing wires.
It is an old brick house and it very difficult to run new wires.
The present situation is that the fan has one wire from power and the other
running through the cut-off switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:53:39 GMT, "W. Wells" wrote:

I have a porch fan that does not have a light. I would like to put a light
on the porch using a separate switch and run it through the existing wires.
It is an old brick house and it very difficult to run new wires.
The present situation is that the fan has one wire from power and the other
running through the cut-off switch.

imho,

If you plan on keeping your your current fan, try and find a light kit
the manufacturer recommends. Second, to seperate the single switch
into dual switches you have a couple options,

1. Run 3 conductor cable to the light. One hot for the lights, one
hot for the fan.

or

2. Look at lutron's Maestro. It can use existing single control
wiring to operate both the fan and light seperately.
http://www.urlbee.com?7262

Now all this is just guesses, since I cannot see your setup, or the
type of fan you have. So use these as starting places for your
research.

hth,

tom