Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Connecting Swamp Cooler to heating ducting

I live in Colorado, and my swamp/evaporative cooler was poorly placed
in the basement of the house. Rather than using a combination of fans
and open/closed windows to get the cool air upstairs, I'm thinking of
ducting the cool air into the heating ducts, which are accessible and
close to where the swamp cooler air comes in.

Anyone have experience that would encourage or disuade me from this?
Suggestions or tips much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Colorado, and my swamp/evaporative cooler was poorly placed
in the basement of the house. Rather than using a combination of fans
and open/closed windows to get the cool air upstairs, I'm thinking of
ducting the cool air into the heating ducts, which are accessible and
close to where the swamp cooler air comes in.

Anyone have experience that would encourage or disuade me from this?
Suggestions or tips much appreciated!

In Arizona, people sometimes had a problem with mold growing in the ductwork
because of the moisture introduced. So separate ductwork for the
evaparative cooler was preferred. You'll still have to open windows to vent
the air unless you put upducts in the ceiling to vent it into the attic.
What would happen if you installed a whole house attic fan in the ceiling of
a hallway and used that to pull the cooler air from the basement evap cooler
upward?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:49:50 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I live in Colorado, and my swamp/evaporative cooler was poorly placed
in the basement of the house. Rather than using a combination of fans
and open/closed windows to get the cool air upstairs, I'm thinking of
ducting the cool air into the heating ducts, which are accessible and
close to where the swamp cooler air comes in.

Anyone have experience that would encourage or disuade me from this?
Suggestions or tips much appreciated!

In Arizona, people sometimes had a problem with mold growing in the ductwork
because of the moisture introduced. So separate ductwork for the
evaparative cooler was preferred.

How does that help? Wouldn't mold grow in the new ductwork eventually
if not sooner, if it would grow in the old ductwork?

You'll still have to open windows to vent
the air unless you put upducts in the ceiling to vent it into the attic.
What would happen if you installed a whole house attic fan in the ceiling of
a hallway and used that to pull the cooler air from the basement evap cooler
upward?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Colorado, and my swamp/evaporative cooler was poorly placed
in the basement of the house. Rather than using a combination of fans
and open/closed windows to get the cool air upstairs, I'm thinking of
ducting the cool air into the heating ducts, which are accessible and
close to where the swamp cooler air comes in.

Anyone have experience that would encourage or disuade me from this?
Suggestions or tips much appreciated!

A swamp cooler, inside the house? Now I've heard it all. Here in NM they
are all located outdoors either on the roof or sitting on a pad next to the
house. They share the furnace ductwork. I suppose the furnace ductwork
was designed for the dual purpose but I'd try to get that thing outdoors if
possible. As well, my furnace blows a heck of a lot more than my swamp
cooler so I would suspect if your situation is similar, the ductwork would
be fine. You will need to put "cookie sheets" in place to close off the
furnace from the swamp and vice versa in the winter.
Good Luck,
cc