Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Connecting Swamp Cooler to heating ducting

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Colorado, and my swamp/evaporative cooler was poorly placed
in the basement of the house. Rather than using a combination of fans
and open/closed windows to get the cool air upstairs, I'm thinking of
ducting the cool air into the heating ducts, which are accessible and
close to where the swamp cooler air comes in.

Anyone have experience that would encourage or disuade me from this?
Suggestions or tips much appreciated!

A swamp cooler, inside the house? Now I've heard it all. Here in NM they
are all located outdoors either on the roof or sitting on a pad next to the
house. They share the furnace ductwork. I suppose the furnace ductwork
was designed for the dual purpose but I'd try to get that thing outdoors if
possible. As well, my furnace blows a heck of a lot more than my swamp
cooler so I would suspect if your situation is similar, the ductwork would
be fine. You will need to put "cookie sheets" in place to close off the
furnace from the swamp and vice versa in the winter.
Good Luck,
cc