Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical question about splicing into one hot wire for a light from a set of hots for 220 circuit

wrote:
My Wife's mother wants a install an outdoor lighting fixture on the
side of the house where there is no convenient power access.
Instead of having to run a new 110v circuit 150ft, we were wondering
about a nearby 220v circuit that feeds 1 evap cooler.
Can we branch off from one of the hot 110 v lines to power an outdoor
light using 2 90watt bulbs? will this lower the voltage of the
tapped
into hot line and cause a fault or power issue for the evap cooler?
would tapping into each hot lines with only 1 90 watt bulb. be more
viable solution. Or should we immediately stop thinking of such
ridiculous things and smack ourselves for even thinking of such
possibilities? hehe It just seems awefully expensive to accomodate
this lighting desire. Can we extend off of a 110v receptacle circuit
provided the wiring is suitable?

Yes it can be done, BUT. You need to make sure that that 240V circuit
has a neutral as well as a ground included (at least four wires) As the
others have suggested, I will also. There are a few possible glitches that
may come up and you may will miss one and end up with a dangerous situation
if you want to do this yourself. I suggest hiring a professional. Also
make sure you get a permit, it would not be good to find out that your home
fire insurance will not pay off because of un-authorized wiring.

--
Joseph Meehan

Thank you Joseph for the most intelligent and decent response.

No Thanks to mug diller for letting us know how much a loser he is with nothing better to do than
adding peanut gallery comments that which prove he is a waste of air and should have been put dirt
long long ago

The question was primarily an example for my wife who has all the questions. I don't quite have the time to answer
her 50 phone calls a day while I am working. Trying to give her a resource to get her questions all answered. Boy some
of you guys are too funny going off on tangents of no relevance.

Anyways -Joseph- Yes there are 4 lines (Phase a and phase B hots and seperate neutral and ground). My concern of tapping
into one line may drop the voltage a little. Being that 240v motors principles are based upon utilizing each 120 line as a 1/2 stroke
per 1 revolution. Imagining pedaling a bicycle. one 120v line would power a downstroke in the pedaling cycle for the entire revolution
the upstroke is carried from the momentum of the downstroke. whereas in 240v motors, 1-120v is downstroke and the other 120v powers
the upstroke portion in the 1 revolution of pedaling.
anyways enough babbling. you don't think tapping of one line reducing the current available on one of the two lines
isn't significant enough to be any issue? This isn't a critical question but moreso a just a thought or what about this, think about... hmmmn type question.
. Oh and by the way, I'm sure I don't have to worry about concerns for my wifes mothers house. You should see some of the wiring panels here. You'd die in amazement.