Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing older concrete

I am looking for suggestions on sealing driveway and sidewalks of concrete.

The primary goal is to prevent the growth of mold, mildew and algae as the
surfaces in question are mostly in the shade.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on sealing driveway and sidewalks of concrete.

Don't waste your time.

The primary goal is to prevent the growth of mold, mildew and algae as the
surfaces in question are mostly in the shade.

Just wash them from time to time and make sure that they've got good
drainage and you'll be fine. Really, sealing on concrete is a waste of
effort, turning a fine low/no maintenance syrface into one that has to be
periodically resealed.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
snip

wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on sealing driveway and sidewalks of concrete.

Don't waste your time.

The primary goal is to prevent the growth of mold, mildew and algae as the
surfaces in question are mostly in the shade.

Just wash them from time to time and make sure that they've got good
drainage and you'll be fine. Really, sealing on concrete is a waste of
effort, turning a fine low/no maintenance syrface into one that has to be
periodically resealed.

John
--

wonder if thompsons water seal would help, clean thouroughly, use
bleach detergent and brush let dry overnite at least.

apply thompsons by dumping on and spread with broom. idea is very heavy
coat. it will soak in.

after it absorbs dries water will only bead and easily evaporate it
wouldnt be able to soak in and remain wet.

no wet + no mold and such

best part is thompsons is clear doesnt change the surface appearance or
texture. reapply every couple years, it wouldnt take much for re
applys.

From what people have observed here, it does change the appareance, and
worse, in the high wear areas, it goes in a very short time, like 6 months
or less and then creates a striking difference when the water soaks into
the high wear areas but beads on the low wear areas. You end up requiring
re-application very frequently if you want to keep an even appearance.

used here it protects concrete from freezing really effective since
water cant penetrate the surface

Ideally, you make the concrete strong enough so that it can withstand that
sort of weather on it's own. A sealer may help sub-standard concrete, for
a little while, but on good concrete, it's a waste IMHO.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well I am a bit of a expert having treated 2 homes and about 10 friends
adopting it too.

NOTE: I said DUMP on spread with broom and let soak in, then reapply a
light coat every couple years! After the heavy coat another heavy coat
will just lay there it cant be absorbed

If you just sprayt on a light coat it isnt enough

The most you will ever see is a SLIGHT darkening of the treated area as
compared to a untreated area.

In a rain treated areas will remain light colored since the water cant
soak in.

Commercial construction recognizes the value of treating concrete.
Locally every new public buildings concrete gets coated, I was told its
a public building code requirement but dont know if thats true.

You cant tell a area has been coated if the entire area has been
treated, it all looks the same. If it rains you can see water bead up
like on a newly waxed car.

Not all treatments are the same I stick with thompsons.

Its not a paint it absorbs!