Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Achieving a "Concrete wall" look indoors

We live in a loft and really like the industrial look of raw concrete
walls. We've got one small wall (drywall/white paint) that is
currently painted (approx 12x12) that we'd like to turn into a
"concrete wall" -- it would serve no purpose other than being
decorative (thus, it does not have to have a particular thickness or
anything, just end up looking like a concrete wall). it is such a
small (seemingly simple) project, we'd like to do it ourselves, however
are having trouble finding DIY tutorials on such a matter. Are there
any products/techniques out there to get this done? We'd preferably
want to find a product/technique that we could apply directly over the
paint. Also, we'd like it to be a certain color (dark grey) and would
like to know if there are any particular "concrete staining" products
that you would reccomend. I dont want to paint over the concrete, but
rather would like to find a product that you can mix right in to the
"concrete mix".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 17 Jul 2006 10:49:23 -0700, wrote:

[...]

The obvious answer is grey stucco mix. Just trowel it on. You could
stain it later if you wanted, it is basically just sand mix concrete.

Slop it on, and press some pieces of plywood or plank (well coated with Pam
fry pan spray) up against it, and you will even get that 'wood form' look. I
get a kick from looking at the 1902-1928 poured concrete in the basement
tunnels at work, and seeing the echo of those old boards and old hand work.
Probably want to nail some chicken wire to the existing wall, to give the
mud bed something to stick to.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"Faux finishes" are the rage - Ralph and Martha have expensive kits for
doing it. Easy to do on smaller scale, but no reason you can't do it on
larger scale. I did concrete colors to cover a bunch of spills for a
neighbor who had splotches of dark brown wood stain all over concrete
deck. On a small scale, acryllic craft paint and a stencil brush work
well. On a larger scale, I would roll on gray flat latex paint and let
it dry. Sponge on another gray, either slightly lighter or darker with
dryish sponge and diluted paint. A wallpaper paste brush or even a
scrub brush can apply the darker speckles that give concrete texture
paste brush probably easier, but have to dab it on pretty fast to blend
before it dries. Water wash is easy to clean up, but can do the same
with oil paints, thinned with linseed and turp. Craft stores have
acryllic medium for thinning acryllic paint - any gloss, including
matte. There are lots of books, and the box stores have pamphlets for
f.f. Play around on paper to get your colors and technique down - tint
with burnt umber, yellow, touch of blue. Box stores also have glaze
base that can be colored.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:

"Faux finishes" are the rage

A faux finish will also be appreciated by the next person who owns/rents the
same loft. If they don't like the concrete, it's a mess to remove. If they
don't like the faux finish, it's a paint job. Unless you're going to live there
for a long time, paint, don't rebuild.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

A good basecoat color is Ben Moore Briarwood, lighten with white if you
wish.