Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Install old baseborad

I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those are pneumatic finish nails, typically 2" and either 16 ga. or 15
ga. Probably using the original nail holes would not increase the
number of heads that you have to cover with putty or caulk.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:47:52 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John61 wrote:
I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

If you haven't yet removed the nails from the base boards, don't. the
heads backing out invariably splinter and chip the face surface.
Instead, cut them off with side cutters or similar and use new nails or
trim screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

John61 wrote:
I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

For future reference, you do not need to remove the baseboard to install
carpet.

What I would do is remove the old nails by pulling them through the
back. This will leave no holes in the finish. Then re-attach and fill
the new holes.

If you already pulled the nails and hammered them back through the face
then yes, use the old holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"No" wrote in message

What I would do is remove the old nails by pulling them through the back.
This will leave no holes in the finish. Then re-attach and fill the new
holes.

If you can, just put the baseboard up with the old nails in place. Worked
for me when I repainted it with nails in place. Only needed a few new ones.