DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Install old baseborad (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169434-install-old-baseborad.html)

John61 July 17th 06 06:47 AM

Install old baseborad

I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

Thomas Kendrick July 17th 06 08:31 AM

Install old baseborad

Those are pneumatic finish nails, typically 2" and either 16 ga. or 15
ga. Probably using the original nail holes would not increase the
number of heads that you have to cover with putty or caulk.

Eric in North TX July 17th 06 02:18 PM

Install old baseborad

John61 wrote:
I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

If you haven't yet removed the nails from the base boards, don't. the
heads backing out invariably splinter and chip the face surface.
Instead, cut them off with side cutters or similar and use new nails or
trim screws.

No July 17th 06 02:47 PM

Install old baseborad

John61 wrote:
I took off all the baseboard in the house for new carpet. The baseboards
were fixed by long nails. But it seems the nails were not positioned to
studs.

Now it's time to put the boards back. Should I just use original nail holes
with new nails? Any advice is appreciated.

For future reference, you do not need to remove the baseboard to install
carpet.

What I would do is remove the old nails by pulling them through the
back. This will leave no holes in the finish. Then re-attach and fill
the new holes.

If you already pulled the nails and hammered them back through the face
then yes, use the old holes.

Edwin Pawlowski July 18th 06 03:18 AM

Install old baseborad

"No" wrote in message

What I would do is remove the old nails by pulling them through the back.
This will leave no holes in the finish. Then re-attach and fill the new
holes.

If you can, just put the baseboard up with the old nails in place. Worked
for me when I repainted it with nails in place. Only needed a few new ones.